Emergency Light Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I have replaced a lot of batteries in my church's emergency lights over the years but unfortunately I have not kept a detailed log on how often batteries have been changed for any particular light. We had at least a dozen go out in recent months. I am starting a chart on them now.

I am wondering if the batteries would last longer by being run from time to time and recharged, as opposed to sitting dormant til a power outage or circuit trouble. Has anyone looked at this issue and found any answers?

fmtjfw

Emergency light batteries are typically trickle charged when not in use. That way they are supposed to have the mandated (90 minutes?) capacity whenever an outage occurred. They typically are lead-acid so do not have the "memory" problems of other chemistries.

ron

NFPA 101 is typically used for periodic maintenance rules

7.9.3 Periodic Testing of Emergency Lighting Equipment.
7.9.3.1 Required emergency lighting systems shall be tested in accordance withone of the three options offered by 7.9.3.1.1, 7.9.3.1.2, or 7.9.3.1.3.7.9.3.1.1 Testing of required emergency lighting systems shall be permitted to beconducted as follows:
(1) Functional testing shall be conducted monthly with a minimum of threeweeks and a maximum of 5 weeks between tests, for not less than 30 seconds,except as otherwise permitted by 7.9.3.1.1 (2).
(2)* The test interval shall be permitted to be extended beyond 30 days with theapproval of the authority having jurisdiction.
(3) Functional testing shall be conducted annually for a minimum of 1½ hours ifthe emergency lighting system is battery powered.
(4) The emergency lighting equipment shall be fully operational for the durationof the tests required by 7.9.3.1.1 (1) and (3).
(5) Written records of visual inspections and tests shall be kept by the owner forinspection by the authority having jurisdiction.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I have replaced a lot of batteries in my church's emergency lights over the years but unfortunately I have not kept a detailed log on how often batteries have been changed for any particular light. We had at least a dozen go out in recent months. I am starting a chart on them now.

I am wondering if the batteries would last longer by being run from time to time and recharged, as opposed to sitting dormant til a power outage or circuit trouble. Has anyone looked at this issue and found any answers?

This is what they make Sharpies for. Write the install date on the battery.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
We have done the 90 minute testing and other 30 second, etc. I just recently did a 90 minute test and all the lights stayed lit at least 90 minutes, a few for over 2 hours. Then, about a month later, one will not come on at all. Looks like I got the last 90 minutes that battery had.

Yes, I started marking dates on the batteries the last dozen or so I installed.

GrayHair

When replacing batteries, suggest you:
  1. Check charging circuit voltage before connecting the new battery, and
  2. Check charging current with new battery connected.
I found quite a few marginal-to-bad units doing that and each requires only a few seconds.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I think most suppliers have units now that will automatically run the required tests and give a fault light if something doesn't pass. See here for one.

Status
Not open for further replies.