Arc Faults Tripping on New Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsherrod

I have a duplex that my company wired. One unit that has its own meter has been tested and all circuits including the arc faults are working without issues. On the other unit, there are a total of 6 arc fault breakers (3 on subpanel A and 3 on subpanel B) and all of them are tripping. At best, it might power one light, but any load above that trips them. One of them was even tripping when I turned on the bath exhaust fan that's on a different circuit. We exchanged all the arc faults for regular breakers and none of them trip. Any ideas where my issue may be? The main disconnect feeds a 200 amp panel downstairs. The 100 amp subpanel upstairs is fed from the downstairs 200 amp subpanel. Is it likely an issue with a compromise in the main feeder, riser or even the triplex?

Homeline Square D panels. Arc Faults are all 15 amp general lighting circuits.

Thanks for any help.

480sparky

Check for neutral-ground fault. I've found that's the usual culprit.... pushing a device in and the bare ground makes contact with the neutral screw on a receptacle.

tsherrod

Check for neutral-ground fault. I've found that's the usual culprit.... pushing a device in and the bare ground makes contact with the neutral screw on a receptacle.

I'm going back to this location tomorrow to do some further troubleshooting. I have checked that the neutrals go with the corresponding circuits on the arc fault breakers. I have also tried disconnecting outlets so that only one outlet is on the homerun and the breaker was still tripping. I believe I also tested the arc faults one at a time with the majority, if not all, of the other breakers off. That's the main reason I am suspicious there is an issue somewhere from service entrance to the subpanel A downstairs. I do believe that they are the combination Arc/Ground Fault breakers. I haven't done the diagnostic on the breaker to see what it is indicating the problem is.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I'm going back to this location tomorrow to do some further troubleshooting. I have checked that the neutrals go with the corresponding circuits on the arc fault breakers. I have also tried disconnecting outlets so that only one outlet is on the homerun and the breaker was still tripping. I believe I also tested the arc faults one at a time with the majority, if not all, of the other breakers off. That's the main reason I am suspicious there is an issue somewhere from service entrance to the subpanel A downstairs. I do believe that they are the combination Arc/Ground Fault breakers. I haven't done the diagnostic on the breaker to see what it is indicating the problem is.
AFCI's do nuisance trip with electronic loads especially, but this case seems like bad wiring to me.

JWONDERING

You cannot share neutrals when using arc fault breakers.Try this . Once you have determined that neutrals for that circuit are not being shared make sure all switch's are off and nothing is plugged into the outlets. Check the circuit with a Circuit tester. If it shows you have an OK reading but the breaker trips when you turn on a switch or try to operate a drill in an outlet then you most likley have a neutral and a ground touching in one of the switch or outlet boxs. If the problem still persist then you need to start checking for a bad light or fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.