Vandal proofing junction box

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbinga

uploadfromtaptalk1442079023714.jpg

We install surveillance cameras and this run was from the garage, up a stairwell and into the attic for our equipment.

As you can see someone cut our cables in the stairwell.

I am.thinking security screws on the double gang box lid. Then somehow putting a 12x12 box over it and securing the lid with security screws. Maybe even welding it.

Of course they could always cut the emt as it goes up another floor before hitting the attic. So on the next floor the emt is floor to ceiling.

Ridgid?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

rt66electric

hide it?? or tamper switch..

hide it?? or tamper switch..

solution A... Camouflage it. make it look like a light fixture or something else....or install two . the first one is obvious and a second one that is not... leave the 1st one broken, as a decoy

solution B ... install a tamper switch.. so that when the cover is opened , then the alarm goes off.

templdl

View attachment 13348

We install surveillance cameras and this run was from the garage, up a stairwell and into the attic for our equipment.

As you can see someone cut our cables in the stairwell.

I am.thinking security screws on the double gang box lid. Then somehow putting a 12x12 box over it and securing the lid with security screws. Maybe even welding it.

Of course they could always cut the emt as it goes up another floor before hitting the attic. So on the next floor the emt is floor to ceiling.

Ridgid?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

If your concerned about the cover being remove consider spe ial tamper resistant screws that require a special screw driver. Also,placing a cage over the entire thing fastening that in place with special tamper resistant svrews is something to consider.
But, when you get vdowen to it that masy only keep the honest people honest where there is a When it comes to vandalism the low lives will find a way. It becomes a challenge to them.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
If your concerned about the cover being remove consider spe ial tamper resistant screws that require a special screw driver. Also,placing a cage over the entire thing fastening that in place with special tamper resistant svrews is something to consider.
But, when you get vdowen to it that masy only keep the honest people honest where there is a When it comes to vandalism the low lives will find a way. It becomes a challenge to them.
I can go to my local industrial supplier and they have a tamperproof screwdriver kit.
Maybe a sheet metal U bracket that you fasten with the nail its, going over the bell box.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The company I worked for did a lot of prison work in Illinois a number of years ago....from that experience there is no such thing as a vandal proof electrical box.
05548.jpg

We had one job were abandoned flush mount boxes in poured concrete walls had to be covered. We installed a 1/8" steel plate with 4 of the above drive in anchors. Before we finished our project, at least 3 of the covers had been removed by the inmates. The tension pull out rating for the anchors, is over 1,000 pounds per anchor.

templdl

The company I worked for did a lot of prison work in Illinois a number of years ago....from that experience there is no such thing as a vandal proof electrical box.
05548.jpg

We had one job were abandoned flush mount boxes in poured concrete walls had to be covered. We installed a 1/8" steel plate with 4 of the above drive in anchors. Before we finished our project, at least 3 of the covers had been removed by the inmates. The tension pull out rating for the anchors, is over 1,000 pounds per anchor.
Yes, to my point it's about keeping honest people honest. Those who are intent on destroying something are intent on doing so.

kwired

Electron manager
Prison inmates have nothing better to do. You put something in their presence they have nothing but time to try to figure out what they may be able to do with it.

I have worked around livestock (at times) all my career - they are no different, other then they often weigh so much more then people that is an added factor to the damage they can cause.

Schools are not far down the list of places where vandalizing of things happens, especially when kids reach junior high - high school age.

Rampage_Rick

Welder... That's what they have to do to all the streetlight handholes around here to stop the copper thieves. Underground splice boxes get a nice concrete slab over the lid.

Tamperproof screws are good until somebody buys the 40-piece tamperproof bit set for $9.95 (I own 3 sets)

^Huh?

fix that seems to work all the time

fix that seems to work all the time

what sort of signals are your cams using if its 75 ohm run it down the twisted pair cable used for fire pull stations and also run 3 pullstation lines from the fcp in with them they will have no idea what is what and will 87% of the time cut the one to the nearest pullstation tripping the alarm also what i have found works best is install a pinhole cam in the box cover or in the box itself with a slight downward angle you are garunteed to get a shot of them before they get any of it cut

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
what sort of signals are your cams using if its 75 ohm run it down the twisted pair cable used for fire pull stations and also run 3 pullstation lines from the fcp in with them they will have no idea what is what and will 87% of the time cut the one to the nearest pullstation tripping the alarm also what i have found works best is install a pinhole cam in the box cover or in the box itself with a slight downward angle you are garunteed to get a shot of them before they get any of it cut

??? This post is long and run on, so I can't follow. Is there a question?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
http://www.tamperproof.com/

The tri-wing and triangle shaped heads are the hardest to defeat with standard tools.
However the non-standard tools are available at most electronics and hardware stores and from the Internet.
Not as likely to make their way into a prison or locked psych ward, but the workers who use them will have to be careful with their tools. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.