Upgrading Residential Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmeek

Occupation
Electrician
I have an existing 150A Service that needs to be relocated due to the new addition on home. Existing panel needs to stay in current location due to having to bring up to current code as far as Arc fault breakers on existing circuits. 6' rule for extending existing circuits. My Question can i upgrade to 200A and sub feed existing 150A panel. Do they make a plug in breaker of 150A which can be installed in a 200A Loadcenter to allow this. I was wanting to use GE panels. The new Service will be relocated to back side of new addition with room to add 4 new circuits for new addition.

wmeek

Occupation
Electrician
Distance from new panel to existing panel is approx 35', and yes existing panel has 150 A Main

wmeek

Occupation
Electrician
Yes I thought about 25' tap rule. So if I can get a 200A feed thru panel with 8-16 Spaces, I can run 2-3/0,1-2/0,1-#6 and it would work on 150A Main in sub feed panel. I will have to also replace sub panel as it is now a nema 3r and will have to be relocated to inside the wall and turned around to be in a bedroom.

jumper

Yes I thought about 25' tap rule. So if I can get a 200A feed thru panel with 8-16 Spaces, I can run 2-3/0,1-2/0,1-#6 and it would work on 150A Main in sub feed panel. I will have to also replace sub panel as it is now a nema 3r and will have to be relocated to inside the wall and turned around to be in a bedroom.

If you are going to replace the panel, you could just get a 200A MLO since you running a 200A feeder. The main breaker is the new panel will protect both panels and the feeder.

wmeek

Occupation
Electrician

I can run 2-# 2/0, 1-# 1/0, 1-#6 for residential

Status
Not open for further replies.