exam room receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumper

Thanks. The inspector doesn't agree, and I needed a sanity check.

517 is definitely not my strong suit, but I see it like this:

The definitions in that section state this:

Patient Care Space. Space within a health care facility
wherein patients are intended to be examined or treated.

Basic Care Space. Space in which failure of equipment or
a system is not likely to cause injury to the patients or
caregivers but may cause patient discomfort

Info note:

Informational Note No. 2: Basic care space is typically a
location where basic medical or dental care, treatment, or
examinations are performed. Examples include, but are not
limited to, examination or treatment rooms in clinics, medical
facilities.

Unlike areas like OR, critical, patient bed etc I do not find any reference that says basic care areas need hospital grade receptacles.

IMO, outpatient exam rooms fit the criteria of basic care.

Last edited:

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
517 is definitely not my strong suit, but I see it like this:

The definitions in that section state this:

Info note:

Unlike areas like OR, critical, patient bed etc I do not find any reference that says basic care areas need hospital grade receptacles.

IMO, outpatient exak rooms fit the criteria of basic care.

That's the way I see it too.

I did a double take when I saw the requirement for hospital grade under 517.18 "General Care Areas". But then I realized the requirement was under "Patient Bed Location Receptacles".

I think the inspector is assuming an exam table is a "patient bed", even though its clearly defined in the front of 517.

Microwatt

HG receptacles

HG receptacles

I did some out-patient exam rooms at one time and did not install HG receptacles as I agree, they are not required. However, when the inspector came for the final the owner provided electric exam tables had stickers on them that stated something along the lines that the reliability of the grounding of this equipment can only be guaranteed when plugged into a hospital grade receptacle.

He made me install them where ever this equipment was located.

david

you can debate if you like if the exam area needs Hospital grade based on it being a patient bed location, I for one have never seen exam chairs or other equipment in doctors offices or clinics that do not have a tag on the cord with the plug with a little green dot for this equipment that says must be plug into a hospital grade receptacle

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
you can debate if you like if the exam area needs Hospital grade based on it being a patient bed location, I for one have never seen exam chairs or other equipment in doctors offices or clinics that do not have a tag on the cord with the plug with a little green dot for this equipment that says must be plug into a hospital grade receptacle

Yes, some exam tables may require that. But I'm not sure all do. And it wouldn't apply to the wall mounted TV's, and I don't think it will apply to the wall mounted ottoscope charger.

jumper

Found this also.

Formal Interpretation
NFPA 70
National Electrical Code
2014 Edition
Reference: Article 517
F.I. 99-1 (NFPA 70)

Question:
Does Part II of Article 517 of the NEC apply to patient sleeping rooms of nursing homes or
limited care facilities where patient care activities do not involve the use of electrical or electronic life support systems; or invasive procedures where patients are electrically connected to line connected electromedical devices?

Answer: No.

Issue Edition: 1999
Reference: Article 517
Issue Date: August 1, 2000
Effective Date: August 21, 2000

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I did some out-patient exam rooms at one time and did not install HG receptacles as I agree, they are not required. However, when the inspector came for the final the owner provided electric exam tables had stickers on them that stated something along the lines that the reliability of the grounding of this equipment can only be guaranteed when plugged into a hospital grade receptacle.

He made me install them where ever this equipment was located.
I tell the owners not to move any plug in equipment in until after the final, then it is up to them if they want to pay us to add HG receptacles for the manufacturers CYA requirements.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.