iOS transformer fuse sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred Shenkman

Hello all,

This is for elevator application where iso transformer directly supplies a KEB pwm a/c drive.

Looking for input and advise on sizing primary side and properly fusing same. Following is example to use. 85kva 460/460 3 phase.

So using kva=V*I*1.732/1000 would give me 106.69A.

Typically would use THHN #2 or #1 depending on run length?

What would be the rule of thumb for picking proper fuse size?

Side note,I realize that this is not really a influence to the questions but the elec insp used this in his violations, Gearless PM motor being used with following data: 174V, 105A, 32HP.

He commented that that if time delay fuse in mainline it should be 106x175% or for non time delay 106x300%. Thats crazy!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Since your transformer is just for isolation in essence you're looking for the OCPD size ahead of the drive?

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Fred Shenkman

Im trying to figure rule of thumb for main line fuses that directly feed transformer. So a 85kva fla is 106A correct. I would think a time delay of 125A, next fuse size up, would be used.

Or is there a certain % over that needs to be used. Fuse is to protect the wire and equipment?

Fred Shenkman

Okay. I'll try to rephrase. Typically transformer is fused so that secondary side is not. I believe when fused at 125% that is allowed. Also is there anything that says that primary can not be fused lower than fla. ie...100A in this case

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Okay. I'll try to rephrase. Typically transformer is fused so that secondary side is not. I believe when fused at 125% that is allowed. Also is there anything that says that primary can not be fused lower than fla. ie...100A in this case

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Nothing but the chances of a nuisance trip when energized.

Status
Not open for further replies.