watt2know

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the 2014 NEC Art. 230.71A it says that the 6 switches can be mounted in or on a switchboard or in switchgear. Does this mean that a disconnect tapped from the buss of switchgear and mounted to the side of switchgear is a violation? Can it only be in switchgear?

jumper

Rearead that section more closely. It says a total of 6 switches that can be a combination.

230.71 Maximum Number of Disconnects.
(A) General. The service disconnecting means for each
service permitted by 230.2, or for each set of serviceentrance
conductors permitted by 230.40, Exception No. 1,
3, 4, or 5, shall consist of not more than six switches or sets
of circuit breakers, or a combination of not more than six
switches and sets of circuit breakers, mounted in a single
enclosure,
in a group of separate enclosures, or in or on a
switchboard or in switchgear.
There shall be not more than
six sets of disconnects per service grouped in any one location.

Rearead that section more closely. It says a total of 6 switches that can be a combination.

230.71 Maximum Number of Disconnects.
(A) General. The service disconnecting means for each
service permitted by 230.2, or for each set of serviceentrance
conductors permitted by 230.40, Exception No. 1,
3, 4, or 5, shall consist of not more than six switches or sets
of circuit breakers, or a combination of not more than six
switches and sets of circuit breakers, mounted in a single
enclosure,
in a group of separate enclosures, or in or on a
switchboard or in switchgear.
There shall be not more than
six sets of disconnects per service grouped in any one location.

My question is about whether one of the 6 throws can be mounted on the switchgear rather than in the switchgear. We are mounting a 1200 amp switch in an enclosure to the end access panel of the switchgear. Is this legal?

jumper

My question is about whether one of the 6 throws can be mounted on the switchgear rather than in the switchgear. We are mounting a 1200 amp switch in an enclosure to the end access panel of the switchgear. Is this legal?

I do not know if mounting a disco to an access panel is quite kosher, prolly not if I had to take a guess, but you can have 5 switches in the switchgear and a disco switch grouped or mounted nearby adjacent for a total of 6.

Carultch

It is probably a violation of the listing of the switchgear enclosure to mount foreign equipment to its side wall. You should only expect to do this, if the equipment manufacturer specifically allows third party equipment to be mounted on its enclosure. I know there are central PV inverter mfrs who now allow it, but I haven't heard of this for switchgear and switchboards.

This particular code section allows your six service disconnects to either be integrated in a manufactured product, or mounted as separate enclosures, provided that there is 6 or fewer, they are all grouped, and readily accessible. You can even install 3 in the same product and the remaining 3 as separate switches on a wall.

watt2know

It is probably a violation of the listing of the switchgear enclosure to mount foreign equipment to its side wall. You should only expect to do this, if the equipment manufacturer specifically allows third party equipment to be mounted on its enclosure. I know there are central PV inverter mfrs who now allow it, but I haven't heard of this for switchgear and switchboards.

This particular code section allows your six service disconnects to either be integrated in a manufactured product, or mounted as separate enclosures, provided that there is 6 or fewer, they are all grouped, and readily accessible. You can even install 3 in the same product and the remaining 3 as separate switches on a wall.
Thanks Gentlemen I believe you have answered my questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.