disconnect question

Status
Not open for further replies.

olly

Occupation
Master Electrician
If you are running from a residential indoor breaker panel to a barn, that will also have an indoor breaker panel that has a main disconnect in the barn panel, do you need a disconnect on the outside of the barn?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
. . . do you need a disconnect on the outside of the barn?
Not if the barn's panel is "close" to where the wires enter the barn. In Washington State, the limit is 15 feet. I don't know about your state rules.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I think OP is referring to a feeder, not service conductors.
It doesn't matter. The rules in 225 for the location of a second building disconnect are the same as those in 230 for a service disconnect.
225.32 Location. The disconnecting means shall be installed either inside or outside of the building or structure served or where the conductors pass through the building or structure. The disconnecting means shall be at a readily accessible location nearest the point of entrance of the conductors. For the purposes of this section, the requirements in 230.6 shall be utilized.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
If you are running from a residential indoor breaker panel to a barn, that will also have an indoor breaker panel that has a main disconnect in the barn panel, do you need a disconnect on the outside of the barn?
Check with your inspector. Here in my part of the state you are required to have a disconnect outside. I don't know if that is a statewide rule or just one for my county.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Barn can also have up to six "mains" if you only have six or less branch circuits.
While permitted by the code, it is hard to accomplish under the 2011 and earlier codes. Those codes require that the second building disconnect be listed as suitable for use as service equipment. Most small panels are so listed only where a main is installed in the panel.
This changes with the 2014 code as the service equipment listing requirement has been removed for these applications.

kwired

Electron manager
While permitted by the code, it is hard to accomplish under the 2011 and earlier codes. Those codes require that the second building disconnect be listed as suitable for use as service equipment. Most small panels are so listed only where a main is installed in the panel.
This changes with the 2014 code as the service equipment listing requirement has been removed for these applications.
Yes, I should have commented on the change in 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.