CSST bonding question

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have as customer who lives in an area that does not have natural gas service. They have propane. They recently had a propane gas fireplace installed and the plumber installed CSST to the gas line. Am I required to bond to that 3/8" propane gas line ? The # 4 THHN bonding wire to water main is about 12" away so it will not be a problem to make this connection. If so, what type of bonding clamp would you use for the 3/8" line ?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Interesting that in all the years of bonding this stuff I have never run into the propane line that wasn't spliced on the exterior with a black iron fitting of some kind. We always attach to that. The clamp must also be a UL 467 listing which most are. Originally only the brass clamps were listed for this but I believe that some of the iron ones are also.

Here is one similar to what we use. You may have to invert the bottom piece to make it work on the propane line IDK

k2-_1544e580-5177-4966-a6c4-6de1c8facbc6.v1.jpg

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Thanks Dennis. There is no black iron anywhere in the house (at least not any that I was able to see). Good advice on inverting the bottom of the water pipe clamp.:cool:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If there is a transition from one tyope piep to CSST there will be a fitting that will most likely be a better place to install a clamp, such as:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
If there is a transition from one type pipe to CSST there will be a fitting that will most likely be a better place to install a clamp, such as:

RICK NAPIER

The requirement that the bonding occurs where the pipe enters the building is no longer in the ICC codes. The clamp shown would have to be listed for bonding to a hexagonal fitting. It is my understanding that most are not.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
But if that is not where the pipe enters the building then how does that qualify.
Probably best answered by a mechanical/building inspector.
All the instructions I have read mention the "manifold" where the CSST originates. When there is no manifold it's a judgement call, I guess. The goal is to bond the CSST and, just an opinion, I'd rather see the clamp on a "rigid" fitting than a piece of soft copper tubing.
With luck, maybe they used a rigid coupling at the transition which might satisfy rick's concern.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The requirement that the bonding occurs where the pipe enters the building is no longer in the ICC codes. The clamp shown would have to be listed for bonding to a hexagonal fitting. It is my understanding that most are not.

Thanks Rick-- I knew NC changed it but I did not realize it was changed at the ICC level

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Probably best answered by a mechanical/building inspector.
All the instructions I have read mention the "manifold" where the CSST originates. When there is no manifold it's a judgement call, I guess. The goal is to bond the CSST and, just an opinion, I'd rather see the clamp on a "rigid" fitting than a piece of soft copper tubing.
With luck, maybe they used a rigid coupling at the transition which might satisfy rick's concern.
I'm in agreement with you. I checked with the bldg dept and they told me the same thing. I'll post a photo when I do the job.

Thank you all for your responses

Status
Not open for further replies.