Standard Switch Heights for Inspectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dean83169

I know there is no code for switch heights but the NEC references ANSI NECA 1-2000 Standards Practices for Good Workmanship in Electrical Contracting and that they should be at 48" This is part of the code referenced in 110.12 FPN.
I had a modular company install the switches 54" to the top of the boxes which makes it look really odd. In none of the drawings stamped is there any heights and when the customer ordered the home, in none of the literature is it stated they would be at 54".
Is there any thing referenced in either the BOCA or IBC code that would help in trying to get this changed or help legally for them to be requred to change this to the STANDARD height?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Short of ADA requirements, this is a design issue and not a code issue. The NECA installation standards are not enforceable unless they have been referenced in the project specification documents.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
In CA, switch height is Max 48" above finished floor measured to the top of box (this also includes thermostats, and switches for fans) and receptacles are Min 15" above the finished floor measured to the bottom of the box.

Sorry this is for commercial only.

edlee

I know there is no code for switch heights but the NEC references ANSI NECA 1-2000 Standards Practices for Good Workmanship in Electrical Contracting and that they should be at 48" This is part of the code referenced in 110.12 FPN.
I had a modular company install the switches 54" to the top of the boxes which makes it look really odd. In none of the drawings stamped is there any heights and when the customer ordered the home, in none of the literature is it stated they would be at 54".
Is there any thing referenced in either the BOCA or IBC code that would help in trying to get this changed or help legally for them to be requred to change this to the STANDARD height?

There is no standard height.

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
You want a fight to have it changed because it looks odd? I'd just get over it, go home, and never think about it again

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.