60 Hz Electrical System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Mike
I am interested in understanding the electrical system runs on 60 Hz frequency, I want to learn it from starting of the basics of the 60 Hz power system. Will you please guide me to understand it..? From where I should start learning..? Any standard books or website is there from which I can get all basics knowledge of 60 Hz Electrical system..?
Just want to add that I completed my graduation in electrical engineering from University of Mumbai in 50 Hz electrical system & now I am just trying to learn the basics of electrical system exists in USA. Please guide me about it.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I have a PDF I will upload, let me find it...

And I cant upload it because he file limit of this forum is not friendly :weeping:

Its called the origins of 60Hz as a power frequency.

I disagree with your disagreement :). There might be a very small role, but for most purposes whether the frequency is 50 or 60Hz doesn't matter much at all. Anywhere that reactance actually matters will be slightly different, but basic distribution and premise wiring? I don't think so. Perhaps we need a better idea of what the OP is asking.

Besoeker

I disagree, it plays a role in system and equipment design.
Not as much as going DC - not by a long chalk.

The theory for 60Hz is the same as that for 50Hz. For example Z, XL, and XC are calculated in the same way. Resistance, for all practical purposes in the same for either system.

And a lot of kit will accept either. A 50Hz transformer will work at 60Hz as will VFDs, incandesecent lighting, heaters, computer power supplies, phone chargers etc.

LMAO

I agree with Jraef. Practically, you should be careful rating transformers (60Hz transformer cannot be used at 50) and calculating impedance and so on. But if you understand the electrical engineering concept you can apply it to any frequency, voltage, etc...

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
He had asked about the "60Hz electrical system", not calculations. Obviously there are differences, but the system is not different just because it is 60Hz.

Now, the system is different from his because we are in North America, yes, but the issue is not directly related to us using 60Hz. That's coincidental.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
He had asked about the "60Hz electrical system", not calculations. Obviously there are differences, but the system is not different just because it is 60Hz.

Now, the system is different from his because we are in North America, yes, but the issue is not directly related to us using 60Hz. That's coincidental.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Not as much as going DC - not by a long chalk.

The theory for 60Hz is the same as that for 50Hz. For example Z, XL, and XC are calculated in the same way. Resistance, for all practical purposes in the same for either system.

And a lot of kit will accept either. A 50Hz transformer will work at 60Hz as will VFDs, incandesecent lighting, heaters, computer power supplies, phone chargers etc.

Correct, they are calculated the same way, but the outcome of the equation is different requiring some design changes. For example a 60Hz transformer will saturate at 50Hz unless special precautions are taken. An HV underground cable will often carry less power at 60Hz then 50Hz for the same size.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician

Some of those differences are indeed because of 50Hz.

Besoeker

I agree with Jraef. Practically, you should be careful rating transformers (60Hz transformer cannot be used at 50) and calculating impedance and so on. But if you understand the electrical engineering concept you can apply it to any frequency, voltage, etc...
That's what I was trying to convey.
The basic principles are no different.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Well this is educational

Personally, i've little clue, 25HZ? 50HZ? 60HZ? 400HZ?

I'm inclined to believe there's some physics behind 60HZ that make it user friendly

~RJ~

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Well this is educational

I'm inclined to believe there's some physics behind 60HZ that make it user friendly

~RJ~
Not at all user friendly. Just efficient for long distance transmission, can be produced by low shaft speed generators without an obnoxious number of poles and also does not produce annoying flicker from an incandescent light.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
... I am interested in understanding the electrical system runs on 60 Hz frequency, I want to learn it from starting of the basics of the 60 Hz power system. Will you please guide me to understand it..? From where I should start learning..? Any standard books or website is there from which I can get all basics knowledge of 60 Hz Electrical system..? ....
The scope is very broad. You may wish to narrow it down. Are you interested generation, transmission, distribution, industrial, residential? if your answer is, 'All of them," you may have to pick one at a time.

Just curious, concerning your degree in EE - What were your major areas of study? Power? Digital Electronics? RF? Analog? It doesn't matter too much, but it may help tailor the responses.

As for standard books, if your interests are power and industrial, I would suggest:
Chapman, Electrical Machinery Fundamentals

IEEE Color Book Series. They are out of print, but I believe you can get digital copies. Start with Red, Std 141, Electrical Power Distribution and Buff, Std 242, Protecton and Coordination

As noted, the physics don't change between 50hz and 60hz. However, also as noted, you may be mostly interested in North American practices. If so, and if is power/industrial is your interest, IEEE papers are very good.

ice

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Well this is educational

~RJ~

In truth it is an engineering compromise between motor speed, system loses, raw material and so forth.

For example, 400 Hz would make for some very small and light weight transformer. This alone would make 60Hz look very impractical, and its actually why its used on aircraft where weight is of great concern. However at 400Hz conductor skin effect goes up which increases transmission line losses to the point of impractical when compared to lower frequency. A 400Hz motor is to fast even with the minimum number of poles for most applications, so yet again a lower frequency is desired. The frequency cant be to low either as iron and copper material required offsets any reduced transmission losses.

50/60 is a sweet spot between the pros and cons associated with high and low frequencies.

I think the question is, if we started from scratch, what would we choose today and why? It might not be 50 or 60Hz, but it would still be a compromise of many, many factors.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
...I'm inclined to believe there's some physics behind 60HZ that make it user friendly

Not much. For the same HP, KVA, The 60 hz motors/xfm are a bit smaller ( less iron)

Max transmission distance is a bit longer for 50 Hz.

But the biggie is (attributed to bes), One cycle of 50HZ is 20 ms.

ice

mivey

Not much. For the same HP, KVA, The 60 hz motors/xfm are a bit smaller ( less iron)

Max transmission distance is a bit longer for 50 Hz.

But the biggie is (attributed to bes), One cycle of 50HZ is 20 ms.

ice
I think too many decimal places (and units) is confusing for some so they wrap themselves in the metric system in an attempt to put slices of the world in nice, even square boxes. No sense of adventure those northern rebels. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.