Cutting ridgid Conduit with wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marxllc

I have replace an old panel with several 3/4 ridgid Conduit entering the bottom and top.and no real play in the conduits. I am able to cut 1 at the coupling, but no couplings in the others. And am unable to get a pipe cutter in there any suggestions

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Even if you can protect the conductors while cutting the conduit, a pipe cutter will leave a very sharp ridge that will be difficult to remove with conductors in the conduit.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I've used the slide emt conduit over the wires trick a few times in the past. It works pretty well. The hard part is usually getting a sawzall all the way around the conduit to get a clean cut. Removing the burr on the inside of the conduit is also a pain with the wires in the way too.

OregonSE

Swivel Head Deburring Tool

Swivel Head Deburring Tool

Swivel Head Deburring Tool Ive used in the past. This is also a test reply as Ive been off for quite awhile.

Swivel Head Deburring Tool Ive used in the past. This is also a test reply as Ive been off for quite awhile.

I was going to say the same thing. Everyone stop what you are doing and order one now!

Also thought about using a large anti short bushing. Probably not technically code compliant but very adequate

I agree with cutting the box apart too, but you sill likely still have the issue of the pipe being to long or needed to work it into the new cabinet..

Attachments

• deburring tp266.jpg
    deburring tp266.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 1
Ok. I'm in. Do I bring a sawzall, grinder, or a torch?

I had to swiss cheese the top of 2 switchboard sections recently. A bunch of pipes that were pretty tight and then the utilities CT wire conduit (they were dragging their feet and I couldnt wait any longer). Just used my cordless one handed M18 Milwaukee hackzall (best tool ever) with a metal blade.

Note: I have no association with nor am I receiving promotional royalties form milwaukee tool corp.

USMC1302

Do you need to move/enlarge the panel? How about just replacing the panel guts if possible? Have had that done a few times with great success

J.P.

^ this if possible. Sometimes the styles make it impossible. I have modified some dead fronts to make this happen.

Or just pull the wires back to the first j box.
If you think you can tape a loop on just pull them back past the cut and fish them back out.

Johnnybob

Those work on rigid? Do they wear out fast? I have only used them on copper pipe.

I have used mine on rigid pipe quite a bit, and it works just fine. I wouldn't trust it to de-burr one cut with a pipe cutter, though! And I have replaced the bit a few times, they are inexpensive. About like buying a replacement blade for an MC splitter.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I was going to say the same thing. Everyone stop what you are doing and order one now!

Also thought about using a large anti short bushing. Probably not technically code compliant but very adequate

I agree with cutting the box apart too, but you sill likely still have the issue of the pipe being to long or needed to work it into the new cabinet..

+1 on this... i've been using them for about 20 years.

what i've done, is slide a old screwdriver down the pipe, and
cut with a dremel tool, keeping the screwdriver between the
cutter and wire. take your time, and you can get almost all the
way around the pipe, and wiggle it to break any bits you can't
get to. when the cutoff wheel gets small, use it in the tight places.

ream it with the deburring tool, and slide a threadless fitting
on it, and you are good to go. i've done 1/2" to 2" GRC this way.

iwire

Staff member

Generally once the cabinet is gone I pull the pipes off at the next coupling to shorten them.

Of course there may be ones that you can't do this to but it is still easier with the box out of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.