Grounding Electrode purpose at less than 600 V

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The following is pertaining to GE's, just thought I'd post it for opinions

Poor grounding not only contributes to unnecessary downtime, but a lack of good grounding is also dangerous and increases the risk of equipment failure. Without an effective grounding system, we could be exposed to the risk of electric shock, not to mention instrumentation errors, harmonic distortion issues, power factor problems and a host of possible intermittent dilemmas. If fault currents have no path to the ground through a properly designed and maintained grounding system, they will find unintended paths that could include people.
However, good grounding isn't only for safety; it is also used to prevent damage to industrial plants and equipment. A good grounding system will improve the reliability of equipment and reduce the likelihood of damage due to lightning or fault currents. Billions are lost each year in the workplace due to electrical fires. This does not account for related litigation costs and loss of personal and corporate productivity.

Roger

mwm1752

I would think the word grounded system is more appropriate for when referencing a fault path -- an electrode would not gennerally trip a breaker

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
if they used the word bonding instead of grounding I would agree a lot more with what they said.

grounding the electrical system does not do any of the things claimed in the paragraph, but at least to some extent, bonding does.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
When people make vague general statements about grounding and safety I try to avoid rolling my eyes.

Grounding is a safety feature with respect to some types of dangers and a potential hazard with respect to others.

How grounding effects the operation and reliability of equipment depends on what the equipment does.

The statement is pretty much meaningless boilerplate. It's important to understand the specifics of any equipment or circuit one may be working on.

You posted it for opinions, so that's mine.

big john

If the building doesn't have a lightning protection system and isn't storing explosives or microchips then good earthing is pointless.

Just commissioned a grid at a warehouse that had a ring electrode almost a mile in circumference, an Ufer, and almost thirty rods... for a building that stored cardboard boxes. What a waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.