What electric utility serves Yosemite National Park?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I have a project there. I don't know who to contact for utility coordination, and I find it interesting that it is so hard to figure this out.

mgookin

I have a project there. I don't know who to contact for utility coordination, and I find it interesting that it is so hard to figure this out.

It could be multiple utilities. I've been there and it's BIG!

You can try this:  
Mail:
Superintendent P.O. Box 577 Yosemite, CA 95389 Phone: 209/379-1365; Fax: 209/379-1294
E-mail:
Yose_Planning@nps.gov
from http://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/management/upload/2-08 EV Utilities.pdf

Also

Division of Facilities Management

Utilities

The Utilities Branch is responsible for the park’s water, sewer, electrical, phone, and other utility systems, both in the front-country and in back-country areas. They provide the critical service of opening up untilities in high country locations each spring, then shutting them down carefully to ensure they aren’t damaged during winter.

Design and Engineering

Design and Engineering performs the planning and design work necessary to ensure park facilities comply to all applicable laws and are constructed safely and efficiently. They work on both large scale projects such as replacement of Valley-wide sewer lines and smaller projects, such as installation of a new vault toilet.
Service calls.
Occupants should promptly report service calls to the Facilities Management Customer Service Center. For after-hour emergencies, please contact Park Dispatch. o Facility Management Customer Service Center: 209-379-1058

from: http://www.nps.gov/yose/getinvolved/supportyourpark/upload/viphandbook.pdf

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Thanks. My project is in the SW corner, near Mariposa and Wawona. I need contact information for the electric utility that provides (and charges for) electricity, not the NPS organization that oversees the utilities.

mgookin

Thanks. My project is in the SW corner, near Mariposa and Wawona. I need contact information for the electric utility that provides (and charges for) electricity, not the NPS organization that oversees the utilities.

I just thought they would know who the electric utility is.

Mariposa is very nice. I spent a week in a "cabin" there during Thanksgiving 2013. Maybe you can get some travel time out of the project.

Looks like it's PGE

PGE service area.JPG

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Many thanks. This project is adding a new Visitor Contact Center at the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias, and a new "comfort station" (bathroom) a bit further up the road at the so called "Lower Grove." There is a utility transformer at the first site, but the lower grove site will be off the grid.

mgookin

Many thanks. This project is adding a new Visitor Contact Center at the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias, and a new "comfort station" (bathroom) a bit further up the road at the so called "Lower Grove." There is a utility transformer at the first site, but the lower grove site will be off the grid.

Those trees are older than Jesus! An incredible sight indeed. Enjoy the project.

sii

I got to spend the last day of a work trip there earlier this year. Absolutely beautiful, can't imagine going to work there every day even if only for a little while. Enjoy it.

kwired

Electron manager
But they probably know which electric utility companies serve what areas of the park.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Pretty much, except for large metro areas, most of California is served by Pacific Graft & Extortion (PG&E).

That would be most of California north of the Grapevine, which is only roughly half the state population wise.

What are your snarky monikers for SoCal Edison and SDG&E ? :lol:

Johnnybob

That would be most of California north of the Grapevine, which is only roughly half the state population wise.

What are your snarky monikers for SoCal Edison and SDG&E ? :lol:

I don't know, yet, I grew up in the central sierra's. I'm sure I could think of something, though lol!

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
There are several utilities service the entire state, not just those big 3. As for Yosemite park, it depends on the area. Most of the park itself is PG&E, but the eastern slopes are either SCE or LADWP. The area around the Mariposa Grove is definietly PG&E, I did a big water pumping station for the City of Wawona out there (the nearest town), that was PG&E for sure.

electric_service_areas.jpg

Here is a pdf of a more detailed version of that map, Mariposa Grove isn't shown, but is almost directly east of the town of Mariposa, right next to Highway 41, but not so far east as to be in the SCE service area.

http://www.energy.ca.gov/maps/serviceareas/Electric_Service_Areas_Detail.pdf

Last edited:

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
From the complaints I'm getting SCE is "sorry can't energize.":D
Or "Slow Connection Electric". They have a reputation for making people wait, especially outside of their core LA basin service area. I did a project out in Durant once, which is kind of east of Bakersfield. We not only waited a week for power, but then they ran too small of conductors. We didn't find out until we lost power and I followed the lines back to see the melted conductor laying on the ground, where it started a grass fire.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Or "Slow Connection Electric". They have a reputation for making people wait, especially outside of their core LA basin service area. I did a project out in Durant once, which is kind of east of Bakersfield. We not only waited a week for power, but then they ran too small of conductors. We didn't find out until we lost power and I followed the lines back to see the melted conductor laying on the ground, where it started a grass fire.
Here they are making all 100 amp undergrounds, that want to upgrade to 200 amps, trench and pipe (3") to the nearest manhole or transformer. I think they were having trouble with all of that undersized wire that they installed years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.