Ladders

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFletcher

I'm looking to get a ladder than can be used as an A-frame, but also on stairwells. A big a-frame (14+'). Doesnt have to be fiberglass, or 2-man; 225lb weight rating, and would prefer it not weigh 100lbs. I looked at Werner and Louisville sites, but I dont see what I need - am I missing it, or do I need two ladders?

growler

I vote for the Little Giant, too. And yes, it takes two men and boy to carry it into the building .

With child labor laws being what they are requireing a "boy" to move them may be a problem.

Specifically stateing that only men can move them may cause trouble with feminist organizations.

In our politically correct society I think it would be better to say that it will require substantial effort to relocated one of these ladders.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I know Werner used to make a three way ladder with extension, flat stepladder and stair stepladder mode. But not in 14'. More like 7' or 8'. (12' extension)
But I do not think that the Little Giant comes in the size range you want either.
You can take a standard 14' stepladder and add adjustable leg extensions to make it a stair ladder.

sii

We paid $800 for one of those big Little Giant 20' monsters because we had two light fixtures over a set of stairs. Our local equipment rental place stopped renting them and our HR guy insisted lights be replaced immediately when out. Four months later our offices moved off site and it hasn't been touched since.

Oh well, I guess it's their money, they're not going to give me any more, I might as well spend it.

ceknight

I'm looking to get a ladder than can be used as an A-frame, but also on stairwells. A big a-frame (14+'). Doesnt have to be fiberglass, or 2-man; 225lb weight rating, and would prefer it not weigh 100lbs. I looked at Werner and Louisville sites, but I dont see what I need - am I missing it, or do I need two ladders?

I have an articulating 16' Michigan Climb Pro, it can be handy in stairwells and other weird places and weighs under 50 lbs so you won't kill yourself lugging it around. It won't get you a 14' A frame, alas.

JFletcher

Thank you all for the replies and suggestions so far.

Am I missing something? You use an aluminum ladder for electrical work?:happysad:

These are for mainly rough in. I do not work on anything live, definitely not 12+' off the ground. I do have fiberglass ladders ofc, but moreso for strength than electrical isolation. Besides, a fiberglass ladder is no bueno if you're changing out, say, an emergency light mounted 14' up on building steel and you happen to be leaning on that, and is not a substitution for proper de-energizing of circuits.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Am I missing something? You use an aluminum ladder for electrical work?:happysad:

My 4' ladder is aluminum. I bought it from Ace because it was within walking distance from the condo in Boston I was working from. This was long long ago, of course, I have a full complement of fiberglass ladders, but I still use the aluminum one.

The only time an aluminum ladder is an issue for me is when I'm working outside on live equipment, in which case I never use an aluminum extension. I've used the metal Little Giant in stairwells. It's not like the steps are grounded or anything.

ceknight

The day that you really need an articulating ladder, you're going to take whatever your laddermonger has in stock.

It's a special tool for infrequent use, and I've never felt particularly threatened by the mouldings and plaster I've had to reach with it during rewires. :)

You not suppose to work live:happyyes:

How will you know for sure until you get up there & test?

After getting fried on an aluminum ladder working on an improperly grounded light on a pole (long story, volunteer project, middle of the night, grabbed what was handy) and getting badly electrocuted (I was locked in with one hand on the ladder and one around the top of the light. I believe God didn't want a dead volunteer, cause I sure couldn't let go), I gave up all use of metal ladders. And if I see my guys using one, they get a long lecture.

OSHA has something to say about it: 1910.333(c)(7)"Portable ladders." Portable ladders shall have nonconductive siderails if they are used where the employee or the ladder could contact exposed energized parts.

Note the word "could"

Status
Not open for further replies.