Hard wired clothes dryer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Michigan only enforces some of the NEC. They took it upon themselves to eliminate Article 547, for one thing. Michigan is under their own code, which references most, but not all, of the NEC.

Is it true they got rid of or are planning of ridding AFCIs?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Is it true they got rid of or are planning of ridding AFCIs?

Well, until last year we were on the 2006 NEC for AFCI protection. Now we have adopted the 2011 NEC and it's AFCI requirements. I haven't heard of any talk about the next cycle being any different. We go to the 2014 next year. I won't know of the state's adoption policy until I take my required code upgrade class.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Well, until last year we were on the 2006 NEC for AFCI protection. Now we have adopted the 2011 NEC and it's AFCI requirements. I haven't heard of any talk about the next cycle being any different. We go to the 2014 next year. I won't know of the state's adoption policy until I take my required code upgrade class.

I came across this:

http://www.electriciantalk.com/f2/strong-delusion-about-afcis-102954/index10/#post2045945

So it looks like someone has at least taken notice?

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
I came across this:

http://www.electriciantalk.com/f2/strong-delusion-about-afcis-102954/index10/#post2045945

So it looks like someone has at least taken notice?

Sure they have. That's one reason we were on the '06 requirements until this cycle. It's just as big of a controversy here as anywhere.

We never know for sure what parts of the NEC the state will adopt until we go through our required code upgrade class. I will probably do mine in the late summer, but I have to do it before I apply for my next license at the end of 2016. No talk or rumors about Michigan becoming AFCI free, though.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Sure they have. That's one reason we were on the '06 requirements until this cycle. It's just as big of a controversy here as anywhere.

We never know for sure what parts of the NEC the state will adopt until we go through our required code upgrade class. I will probably do mine in the late summer, but I have to do it before I apply for my next license at the end of 2016. No talk or rumors about Michigan becoming AFCI free, though.

Hope they wake up, or at least ask the question: "where is the proof 30,000 home fires are the result of arcing?"

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
OK, wow....

The discussion about Michigan's AFCI rules led me from the Internet to a long talk with a code official at the state level. I will be starting another thread about this in the General Electrical forum, as this is not really an NEC subject.

I found out some very interesting stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.