Use of expansion joint with 2" PVC overhead service

Status
Not open for further replies.

1964element

Color coded red and blue so know one gets confused.
Romex and pex will make a lot of $14 electrician s and plumbers.
They will be working at McDonald's on the side to make a real living.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

1964element

Attack?
Just my opinion. I was taught to pipe.
I don't want to give my trade away.
Like drywall hangers,finishers, painters, metal framers plus many other trades.

Only way to go if you have to use PVC. We just finished some work at a dairy and used a bunch of these with some PVC boards, cut to fit, under them for use as spacers where needed.
I used this type of strap in the past. They are nice. I see that a spring nut type clip is available to fasten it to strut. Because of personal preference, I like to space conduits off the surface. Shallow strut is perfect to come straight out the top of the meter base especially with the hub I have that can be turned 180° to get the proper spacing. I was wondering, do the straps attached to strut change the spacing? I prefer to come straight out. I know how to bend, just don't have a big hot box for 2".

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Attack?

I first learned to pipe 35 yrs. ago with rigid, doing industrial work, so emt was easy to pick up.I prefer conduit, even use it where not required. Pipe work is an art and a skill.When you know how to measure and bend properly it can be done quickly and nice. Our big jobs here are MC now, even feeders. I have accepted it, though not happy about it.

JoeyD74

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I first learned to pipe 35 yrs. ago with rigid, doing industrial work, so emt was easy to pick up.I prefer conduit, even use it where not required. Pipe work is an art and a skill.When you know how to measure and bend properly it can be done quickly and nice. Our big jobs here are MC now, even feeders. I have accepted it, though not happy about it.

I agree with you, if money was not a concern I would use ridged on services, but If I price every job for ridged I won't get any. Change with the times or have your principles put you out of business.

I agree with you, if money was not a concern I would use ridged on services, but If I price every job for ridged I won't get any. Change with the times or have your principles put you out of business.
My original post was about using PVC instead of SE cable, which is allowed here. The total cost is reasonable compared to cable, and I prefer copper, though aluminum is ok. Also, installation compared to cable, has it's advantages, like the time it takes to twist up the 4' of bare neutral(3' at service head required here by power co) and make it look good. I am interested in support method ideas, a lot of good ideas out there.

I'm in Chicago we still pipe it all.

I think that's great that it's like that there. Beautiful city. If it was like that here I would be working more. Not much need for a older guy like me when you can get kids to sling MC all day. So, I do my own work when I'm off.

peter d

Attack?

It's pretty clear to me that you're just trolling the forum but I'll play along. The work doesn't belong to you or anyone else for that matter, it belongs to the customer alone and they get to choose how they want it done and what they are willing to pay for it.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
My original post was about using PVC instead of SE cable, which is allowed here. The total cost is reasonable compared to cable, and I prefer copper, though aluminum is ok. Also, installation compared to cable, has it's advantages, like the time it takes to twist up the 4' of bare neutral(3' at service head required here by power co) and make it look good. I am interested in support method ideas, a lot of good ideas out there.

You know they make SE with copper, right?

user 100

The work doesn't belong to you or anyone else for that matter, it belongs to the customer alone and they get to choose how they want it done and what they are willing to pay for it.

:thumbsup:. It's kind of funny when anything not considered "top notch" gets disparaged- lots of people love pipe and wire or mc or anything stainless- until they end up having to pay for it- that "other stuff" quickly becomes an acceptable equal.:)

. It's kind of funny when anything not considered "top notch" gets disparaged- lots of people love pipe and wire or mc or anything stainless- until they end up having to pay for it- that "other stuff" quickly becomes an acceptable equal.:)
I agree that to remain competitive some things are overkill. There are some situations however, where a slightly increased cost in installation or materials could be better or cheaper in the long run. E.G. installing a expansion joint where not required. Where to draw the line is the question.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Good point. I have never worked with 200 copper SE cable. I wouldn't think it would be a stock item at the supply house.

standard stock at your supply house would be #4 and #2/0 copper and #2 and #4/0 aluminum. They should have all four of those.

kwired

Electron manager
standard stock at your supply house would be #4 and #2/0 copper and #2 and #4/0 aluminum. They should have all four of those.
That would depend on the demand for said items. Those particular sizes would be most commonly used - unless contractors in the area prefer to use raceway methods, or maybe you find little demand for copper and only aluminum sees any demand. Or if you have an AHJ that either doesn't typically allow SE or is strict on how to physically protect it, it may reduce the demand for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.