Grounding our lifts

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello all

So im working at a plant that has recently purchased a few foot operated lift tables like this http://www.mcmaster.com/#lift-tables/=10jcnwd

recently one of our operators received a nasty static shock while using them.

I dont believe the wheels are large enough to ground the steel frame, suggestions from our techs included static wrist straps and rubber static strips similar to whats used on fork lifts

I was curious as to some suggestions on how to ground something like this, how do you prevent static electricity on something with wheels?

thank you in advance

luckylerado

please explain

In my opinion, the more likely scenario is that a static charge was built up around the technician and discharged through the equipment rather than a charge built up around the equipment and discharged through the technician.

Rubber sole shoes, dry air, and friction of clothing is a recipe for static buildup.

I believe that polyurethane wheels are static dissipative.

Last edited:

just the cowboy

Inactive, Email Never Verified
What is on the table

What is on the table

What is on the table just the steel top or did they add something ( teflon, plexaglass, cardboard....).
Are they sliding something onto it?
It sound like it is getting a buildup on the objects and table.

A ground clamp to the lift is first thing to prevent it from building up a charge, if it is on wheels it is not well grounded. Then observe the operation and see if they are sliding something on to the table.

Get back to us.

JFletcher

If it's just one tech and not them all, and just one incident, I would look into footwear designed to reduce static build-up, or different clothing. Personally I just would have tapped the side of my leg into the lift frame, discharged the static, and gone on about my daily routine.

If it is an electric model, It could be a problem with the grounding pin on the lift motor power cord, damaged cord, or an improperly wired outlet.

The static electricity likely built up on the person, not the lift. Grounding or bonding the lift will not change that.

luckyrado, the lift doesnt have to be grounded to have a discharge - all that is needed is a sufficient difference in potential between two surfaces, hence why every gas station in the US has warnings about discharging static before fueling, not to re-enter your car while fueling (drag across the upholstery can cause you to build up another charge). The car is isolated from ground yet at a lower potential than you are.

eta: if the shock came from handling materials on the table that could cause static build-up, a wrist strap to the frame will discharge the static before it becomes a problem, regardless of if the lift is grounded or not.

Last edited:
What is on the table just the steel top or did they add something ( teflon, plexaglass, cardboard....).
Are they sliding something onto it?
It sound like it is getting a buildup on the objects and table.

A ground clamp to the lift is first thing to prevent it from building up a charge, if it is on wheels it is not well grounded. Then observe the operation and see if they are sliding something on to the table.

Get back to us.

cardboard boxes filled with plastic product are placed on top of the lift, sometimes slid on and off depending on weight of the box

If it's just one tech and not them all, and just one incident, I would look into footwear designed to reduce static build-up, or different clothing. Personally I just would have tapped the side of my leg into the lift frame, discharged the static, and gone on about my daily routine.

If it is an electric model, It could be a problem with the grounding pin on the lift motor power cord, damaged cord, or an improperly wired outlet.

The static electricity likely built up on the person, not the lift. Grounding or bonding the lift will not change that.

luckyrado, the lift doesnt have to be grounded to have a discharge - all that is needed is a sufficient difference in potential between two surfaces, hence why every gas station in the US has warnings about discharging static before fueling, not to re-enter your car while fueling (drag across the upholstery can cause you to build up another charge). The car is isolated from ground yet at a lower potential than you are.

eta: if the shock came from handling materials on the table that could cause static build-up, a wrist strap to the frame will discharge the static before it becomes a problem, regardless of if the lift is grounded or not.

not electric, foot operated lever for lifting and lowering the table

so would a wrist strap be a better option in this situation as opposed to a rubber static strip?

kwired

Electron manager
If the table were electrically operated, as suggested early on the equipment grounding conductor supplying the table likely would discharge any static that builds up in the table.

Since it is not electric, you now need to know more about the characteristics of the wheels and possibly even the type of floor it is used on to know if the table can hold any significant charge.

You also have the possibility that the user is the one being charged or even the user and table are both charged and some other object is where discharge has occurred to.

Status
Not open for further replies.