LED lamps flash once when first turned on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colinb30

Hey guys, any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. I've installed TCP Elite 65W halogen replacement LED lamps with Lutron C.L dimmers. This is a newly constructed house, when the lights are first turned on they will flash for a second then work fine. I've literally installed hundreds of these lamps in the last 18 months with the same dimmer. I've never had this issue until now. Thanks again for any help or suggestions

James L

Occupation
Electrician
How many lighting schemes are you talking about? Basically, how many dimmers?

Are you having the same issue with multiple schemes? Every scheme acting the same way, or some acting ok while others act crazy?

How many lamps /watts you talking about on each dimmer?

Colinb30

How many lighting schemes are you talking about? Basically, how many dimmers?

Are you having the same issue with multiple schemes? Every scheme acting the same way, or some acting ok while others act crazy?

How many lamps /watts you talking about on each dimmer?

Just in some of the rooms. One room has 4 lamps, another has 8 and the last room has 10. One room is a single pole and the other two are 3 ways. The lamps are 10 watt and the dimmer is rated for 150 watts

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I wonder what you mean by flash? One blink? Or strobe? Quick flicker?

And...
I know this is an exercise in stating the obvious, but it would seem that you have an issue in either:
Lamps
Dimmers
Wiring

Every lamp on a scheme acts the same way at the same time? More than likely not a lamp issue - but stranger things have happened.

Can you swap a dimmer with one somewhere in the house that's not having problems?

If that dimmer acts fine elsewhere, it's not the dimmer. If it acts the same elsewhere, it probably is the dimmer.

Are these dimmers all on the same circuit, or maybe the same multiwire branch circuit?

Do these dimmers require a neutral? If so, can you attach it to the ground temporarily to see if the problem goes away?

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I've seen this before.

The only thing I've done was change the LED bulbs to another brand and everything was OK.
On a couple occasions I've noticed it related to the number of lamps in use. For example a chandelier with 5 lamps would strobe when turned on, removed 2 bulbs a viola stopped flashing. Now I know that the wattage was within limits of CL dimmer but weird things are happening with these LED bulbs/ quantity/ brands.

ceknight

One room is a single pole and the other two are 3 ways. The lamps are 10 watt and the dimmer is rated for 150 watts

I had a LED flash problem ~2 years ago w/ a Lutron 3W Diva that puzzled the folks at Lutron for a few minutes. I had checked their compatibility list beforehand and bought lamps compatible w/ the switch. Regardless of the dimmer setting, when you turned on the lamps from the remote switch there was a momentary full-bright flash that my customer found rather unsettling.

Turned out Lutron had tweaked the design of the Diva after the compatibility chart was published, they added circuitry that sucked in juice before the dimmer function took over so the initial burst was undimmed. Lutron's only remedy at the time was to send me a Skylark 3W dimmer, that solved the problem -- though the customer didn't care much for its looks.

Haven't had the problem since, I assume they fixed it. But if your problem is with 3W Divas, try a different switch and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.