Can You Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian john

Had a call from a facility type that has some grounding issues,. They are having Ground Fault Issues and they wanted me to make a list of all inspections and test I do when trying to resolve grounding issues so they can give to their electrician.
:jawdrop:

Just thought it was sort of gutsy to ask for methods of work to pass on to another contractor. Vague job gets vague answers.

luckylerado

Had a call from a facility type that has some grounding issues,. They are having Ground Fault Issues and they wanted me to make a list of all inspections and test I do when trying to resolve grounding issues so they can give to their electrician.

Just thought it was sort of gutsy to ask for methods of work to pass on to another contractor. Vague job gets vague answers.

Haha. Tell them to hire trained staff. :lol:

How do they know that their electrician has not caused the problem in the first place.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I try to help people that I know and sometimes I can tell them where to look for problems. But, it is very hard to tell someone what to test and how to test.
I tell them what I can and tell them if I was there I could probably walk right to the problem but telling them how to find it is a whole nutter problem...

brian john

I try to help people that I know and sometimes I can tell them where to look for problems. But, it is very hard to tell someone what to test and how to test.
I tell them what I can and tell them if I was there I could probably walk right to the problem but telling them how to find it is a whole nutter problem...

For regular customers I always try to help and many of my customers are other electrical contractors, I tell them I answer questions for free but generally they are the ones that end up hiring me.

I do not think what I know is some magical answer or that I know more than anyone else, heck being a member here proves that daily, but one reason I am a member here is to learn and to help share what little knowledge I have.

But a call from someone I do not do work for that wants information to help their contractor seems out of line.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
You could always suggest that their electrician create an account on this forum. :happyyes:

brian john

You could always suggest that their electrician create an account on this forum. :happyyes:

Maybe 25% of my work is for other electrical contractors, when I work with other electricians I ask them if they know about this site and ET most say NOPE and of the ones that have heard of the MH Forum almost 99.9% say they do not belong or care to belong.

I figure even if they never post or only occasionally post there is a wealth of knowledge to help them in almost every aspect of the trade at their finger tips.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Maybe 25% of my work is for other electrical contractors, when I work with other electricians I ask them if they know about this site and ET most say NOPE and of the ones that have heard of the MH Forum almost 99.9% say they do not belong or care to belong.

I figure even if they never post or only occasionally post there is a wealth of knowledge to help them in almost every aspect of the trade at their finger tips.

Many are just looking for Friday.

But back to your OP Brian, at least they didn't ask you to loan your equipment to them? :D

Roger

peter d

Just tell them that they need to add a lot more ground rods and the problem will go away :happyno:

:lol::lol:

Everyone knows that the panacea to all electrical products is grounding. Just keep connecting everything and anything to the dirt and all electrical problems will just go away. ;)

JFletcher

I'd tell them I'd be happy to teach their electricians "how to" classes, for a fee of course. I used to include an option in my bids to teach hotel maintenance staff how to troubleshoot/repair basic CATV, telephone, and internet problems.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

tell them you start with a spreading resistance analysis, and that determines the
course of action. that'll hold them.

a SRA is something done in the semiconductor industry, but in this case, it's a study
to see how much resistance to spreading their wallet you run into.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
:lol::lol:

Everyone knows that the panacea to all electrical products is grounding. Just keep connecting everything and anything to the dirt and all electrical problems will just go away. ;)
Especially after you have all of the ungrounded conductors connected to the grounding conductors....:)

Last edited:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician

Is that something you offer as a service? If it were me, I would just tell them that making lists of test procedures is simply a service that I don't offer.

Of course, ask if they would like you to come in and fix the problem for your usual fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.