20 amp and/or dedicated line to basement bath, and GFI kitchen reno question

Status
Not open for further replies.

howardrichman

I'm wiring a basement bath. I've already brought a 15 amp lighting circuit thru that bathroom for the fan/light, and to another room. the Will I need to install a dedicated 20 amp line to that bath. Can I just install a 15 amp GFI protected outlet there under the rehab code? also while wiring a kitchen reno, I wired the GFI protected outlets according to the 6' of sink rule. The inspector made me GFI all counter outlets, said rehab not applicable. Do I need to be updated? Has it or will it be changed in 2014 code?

HR...

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
AFAIK, any "rehab" code is a local thing. With that said if you are adding a bath or the walls are down you will need to run a 20A circuit for the bath. Same thing would apply to the kitchen, if you are gutting the walls the inspectors here would make us wire the kitchen to applicable code.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If the 15 amp circuit was already present then the rehab code might allow to keep it with upgrading the current 20 amp requirement. All receptacles that serve the kitchen counter require GFCI protection. The 2014 NEC re-added the within 6' of a sink requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.