Exam preparation

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCandelaria

I'm currently studying through the 2014 Exam preparation illustrated guide and I've come across an example question on page 17 that has me concerned. In the example question the calculated result is 76.80w but the multiple choice answer is 75w. Is it common for math questions to be rounded to the nearest multiple of 5 in state electrical exams? I understand rounding to the nearest whole numer or the nearest multiple of ten etc. I've never seen a math test answer round to the nearest multiple of 5.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I'm currently studying through the 2014 Exam preparation illustrated guide and I've come across an example question on page 17 that has me concerned. In the example question the calculated result is 76.80w but the multiple choice answer is 75w. Is it common for math questions to be rounded to the nearest multiple of 5 in state electrical exams? I understand rounding to the nearest whole numer or the nearest multiple of ten etc. I've never seen a math test answer round to the nearest multiple of 5.

Type out the question and what you did and we can let you know where you or the book is off. The answer should not be rounded as you are thinking

jumper

Hmmm. Found this:

Example
Question: The total resistance of two 12 AWG conductors, 75
ft long is 0.30 ohms, and the current through the circuit is 16A.
What’s the power loss of the conductors? Figure 1–26

(a) 20W (b) 75W (c) 150W (d) 300W

Answer: (b) 75W

Step 1: What’s the question? What’s the power loss of the
conductors “P?”

Step 2: What do you know about the conductors?
I = 16A, R = 0.30 ohms

Step 3: What’s the formula? P = I2 x R

Step 4: Calculate the answer: P = 16A² x 0.30 ohms =
76.80W.

The answer is 76.80W.

Page 15. https://www.mikeholt.com/instructor2/img/product/pdf/1302643872-sample.pdf

JCandelaria

I checked the corrections website for this study guide and referred back to the intro and how to use this book sections and they said nothing about rounding to the nearest multiple of five. Is this a common practice for exam companies and state exams to round answers down to the nearest multiple of five. Is that one of those instances where one is supposed to make an educated guess as described in the passing your exam section of the book?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think the multiple choice selection should have included 76.8 watts. Not sure why they chose to use 75W. The good thing is you know how to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.