Meter socket in detached garage, sub panels in residence

Status
Not open for further replies.

five.five-six

The roofline is connected but the foundations are not. There will be a EV panel in the garage but the lighting and receptacles in the garage will be served by a sub panel in the residence, a separate structure with a comon roof. How do I ground this?

The roofline is connected but the foundations are not. There will be a EV panel in the garage but the lighting and receptacles in the garage will be served by a sub panel in the residence, a separate structure with a comon roof. How do I ground this?

Is the service disconnect in the garage. and then a feeder to the house? Where is the EV panel be fed from and why dont you feed the lights and receps from the garage panel? Ill await clarification before speculating...

five.five-six

EV panel has it's own meter, lower EV rate. No other panel in the garage structure. Service disconnect is in the garage. It's a dual socket service, one for the EV panel and one for the house power. There are 3 sub panels to go in the house. Perhaps I find a combo panel with space for the feeders and for the branch circuits serving the garage, my problem is how do I ground this? There is a ufer in the garage.

EV panel has it's own meter, lower EV rate. No other panel in the garage structure. Service disconnect is in the garage. It's a dual socket service, one for the EV panel and one for the house power. There are 3 sub panels to go in the house. Perhaps I find a combo panel with space for the feeders and for the branch circuits serving the garage, my problem is how do I ground this? There is a ufer in the garage.

So I assume there are two service disconnects, one is the EV panel and the other is in the panel supplying the feeders? I dont see anything being different then a "regular" house. This is not 2 structures or buildings. You need to connect the ufer from the house too, do you have one there? See 250.64(D) for how to ground a service with multiple disconnecting means' enclosures.

Wonder why we don't allow meter sockets any longer :)

Wonder why we don't allow meter sockets any longer :)

Meter sockets actually have a common grounding/grounded (neutral/ground) lugs after they run separate into the sub panels with separate buss bars. There should be a copper wire from the UFER into the meter socket where it goes under a lug and is joined with the neutral and a second leaving the meter socket until it arrives at first panel where it stays separate.
Your sub panel that feeds the garage should have a grounding buss bar separate from grounded that should have a grounding conductor that originated from leaving that socket and should continue through all of the panels.
EV panel (could mean electric vehicle these days also) is suppose to be separate also, everything should have a stand alone path back to the service entrance where they branch off from one another.

152212123_59a928f268_z.jpg

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

I am not sure it is a separate structure if it has a common roof.

Meter sockets actually have a common grounding/grounded (neutral/ground) lugs after they run separate into the sub panels with separate buss bars. There should be a copper wire from the UFER into the meter socket where it goes under a lug and is joined with the neutral and a second leaving the meter socket until it arrives at first panel where it stays separate.
Your sub panel that feeds the garage should have a grounding buss bar separate from grounded that should have a grounding conductor that originated from leaving that socket and should continue through all of the panels.
EV panel (could mean electric vehicle these days also) is suppose to be separate also, everything should have a stand alone path back to the service entrance where they branch off from one another.

View attachment 14206

Unless I am misinterpreting, most of that is incorrect. "neutrals and grounds" remain common after the meter socket. You seem to be leaving out the service disconnect in your description. They do not separate until after the service disconnect. I agree that some meter sockets have a second neutral lug where you may attach a gec. If you are cold sequence metering, which in these parts you would only have if there are more than 6 meters, there is,an exception that you can remain N-G bonded in the metering, but all meter stacks I have used have an isolated neutral bus

Not entirely incorrect

Not entirely incorrect

Unless I am misinterpreting, most of that is incorrect. "neutrals and grounds" remain common after the meter socket. You seem to be leaving out the service disconnect in your description. They do not separate until after the service disconnect. I agree that some meter sockets have a second neutral lug where you may attach a gec. If you are cold sequence metering, which in these parts you would only have if there are more than 6 meters, there is,an exception that you can remain N-G bonded in the metering, but all meter stacks I have used have an isolated neutral bus

An exception under 250.142(B) allows them to be joined prior to a disconnect with a meter socket.
Like my first post probably why they aren't allowed here for the past 20 years or so? Different jurisdictions and inspectors will also interpret differently on this one.

iwire

Staff member
An exception under 250.142(B) allows them to be joined prior to a disconnect with a meter socket.
Like my first post probably why they aren't allowed here for the past 20 years or so? Different jurisdictions and inspectors will also interpret differently on this one.

What do you mean meter sockets are not allowed?

That was the exception I referred to in my last post. What do you mean "prior to a disconnect?" Neutrals and grounds are always common on the supply side of the disconnect. Did you mean to say supply side of disconnect? Perhaps you could describe in a little more detail the situation you are thinking of and we can hash it out then :)

Status
Not open for further replies.