Handle tie on air conditioner breaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I had an inspector leave me a message and said I couldn't use two single pole 20 amp breakers with a handle tie Can someone point me in the right direction of this code? Would this also apply to a wall heater circuit?

The inspector is wrong. As others have pointed out, 240.15(B)(2) allows this assuming this is a 120/240 system and the breaker has a 120/240 rating. AFAIK as a practical matter all 1 pole breakers today have a 120/240 rating.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
The inspector is wrong. As others have pointed out, 240.15(B)(2) allows this assuming this is a 120/240 system and the breaker has a 120/240 rating. AFAIK as a practical matter all 1 pole breakers today have a 120/240 rating.

The inspector may be wrong, but, to me,he makes more sense than the rule.
:)

JAP>

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I agree, the inspector is incorrect given the nature of the load and no MWBC present.

crtemp

I agree, the inspector is incorrect given the nature of the load and no MWBC present.

The single pole breakers I am using are rated 120/240 volt. It says it right on the side of the breaker. The circuit he was referring to was my 12/2 nm-b that I have going to a 60 amp non fused disconnect that is for a ductless mini split heat pump.

what does "identified handle tie" refer to in 240.15 (b) (2)

this is the handle tie I'm using
http://www.acdcusa.com/ths1-cutler-...bd-breakers/?gclid=CJr9_vzn2soCFVFlfgod1DsBQA

Last edited:

norcal

From a different perspective, in the past HVAC equipment was required to use circuit breakers with HACR marked on the breaker, that I understand was dropped because they all were tested for being acceptable for Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigeration equipment, but I can't remember seeing that rating on single pole circuit breakers. If my memory is correct, would that be another reason not to use handle ties?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The single pole breakers I am using are rated 120/240 volt. It says it right on the side of the breaker. The circuit he was referring to was my 12/2 nm-b that I have going to a 60 amp non fused disconnect that is for a ductless mini split heat pump.

what does "identified handle tie" refer to in 240.15 (b) (2)

this is the handle tie I'm using
http://www.acdcusa.com/ths1-cutler-...bd-breakers/?gclid=CJr9_vzn2soCFVFlfgod1DsBQA

Here is the Article 100 definition:

Identified (as applied to equipment). Recognizable as suitable for the specific purpose, function, use, environment, application, and so forth, where described in a particular Code requirement.
Informational Note: Some examples of ways to determine suitability of equipment for a specific purpose, environment, or application include investigations by a qualified testing laboratory (listing and labeling), an inspection agency, or other organizations concerned with product evaluation.

Does the inspector have an issue with the handle tie that was used or the two single pole CB's in lieu of a 2 pole?

crtemp

Here is the Article 100 definition:

Does the inspector have an issue with the handle tie that was used or the two single pole CB's in lieu of a 2 pole?

I believe his issue was with the handle ties themselves. I'm going to try and call him this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.