Can Aluminum Cable Glands be used with Stainless Steel enclousres

Status
Not open for further replies.

lpena

Hi,

I am getting conflicting information about whether it is acceptable to use aluminum cable glands in Stainless Steel enclosures/junction boxes in Class I div 2 locations. Some say that all i need is some kind of adapter between the two to prevent galvanic corrosion (because of different types of metals). But some say that it is not awolled. Can you help me get the correct information. The reason why i want to use aluminum cable glands is because i have some in stock , but my customer has stainless steel enclousures (NEMA4X). Also my customer does not want to use brass cable glands. So that leaves with either aluminum or stainless steel glands.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
You need to combine two NEC Article 344 Sections:

• With respect to Section 344.10(A)(1), Galvanized Steel and Stainless Steel are both "steel RMC".
  • Section 344.14 permits aluminum fittings to be used with steel RMC in absence of "severe corrosive influences".
This concept carries through to other steel/aluminum interfaces; i.e., they are acceptable in absence of severe corrosive influences.

galvanic corrosion

galvanic corrosion

The galvanic corrosion may take place depending on the area where this installation is done. I would personally not combine Aluminum with stainless steel as the potential for galvanic corrosion is very eminent, unless this installed enclosure is located in an indoor site.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
...acceptable in absence of severe corrosive influences.
So are you saying a Class I Division 2 location is automatically to be considered severely corrosive?

And neither "steel" can be used in a severely corrosive environment without supplementary corrosion protection—344.10(B)(1).

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
So are you saying a Class I Division 2 location is automatically to be considered severely corrosive?

And neither "steel" can be used in a severely corrosive environment without supplementary corrosion protection—344.10(B)(1).
No - I didn't say either one. I don't think I even implied it. HSB may have.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
No - I didn't say either one. I don't think I even implied it. HSB may have.
Okay. Just wanting clarification. You seemed to imply it, perhaps inadvertently, by way of the thread context, not necessarily your post context. Sometimes stating facts as just the facts do not necessarily come across as just the facts on the reader's end.

So as it stands, it is okay to use the aluminum gland fittings with stainless steel enclosures in Class I Division 2 locations as long as the environment is not severely corrosive, right?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
So as it stands, it is okay to use the aluminum gland fittings with stainless steel enclosures in Class I Division 2 locations as long as the environment is not severely corrosive, right?
I believe that's what the last line of my original post said.

Status
Not open for further replies.