house problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmelte

Inactive, Email Never Verified
I HAVE A 125A SINGLE PHASE PANEL. SOME OF THE CIRCUITS WENT OFF THROUGHOUT THE HOUSE.
NO BREAKERS WERE TRIPPED, HOWEVER I HAD NO VOLTAGE ON ONE OF THE UTILITY FEEDS. I OPENED
ALL OF THE LOAD BREAKERS, AND THE VOLTAGE WAS RESTORED ON THE FEED. I THEN CLOSED THE BREAKERS
AND EVERYTHING NOW WORKED. I'M AFRAID THE PROBLEM WILL COME BACK. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY
HELP RESOLVING.
THANKS

growler

I HAVE A 125A SINGLE PHASE PANEL. SOME OF THE CIRCUITS WENT OFF THROUGHOUT THE HOUSE.
NO BREAKERS WERE TRIPPED, HOWEVER I HAD NO VOLTAGE ON ONE OF THE UTILITY FEEDS. I OPENED
ALL OF THE LOAD BREAKERS, AND THE VOLTAGE WAS RESTORED ON THE FEED. I THEN CLOSED THE BREAKERS
AND EVERYTHING NOW WORKED. I'M AFRAID THE PROBLEM WILL COME BACK. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY
HELP RESOLVING.
THANKS

Describe how you are measureing voltage at the utility feeds. Phase to phase or phase to ground/neutral. Do you now have around 240V phase to phase?

Is this an overhead or underground service? Did you open the main breaker and then close it?

More information will be needed to give help.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This happens when there is either a bad main breaker or a bad connection. When the load is relieved from the conductor and then turned on again it moves something around and makes contact. Guaranteed it will come back. My bet is the main breaker.

Were all the loads that were off from the same phase?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Something could have faulted line to line. ,only tripped one leg. This happens sometime with a two pole common trip. Then when the main was opened it was reset.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Please do us all a favor and turn off the ALL CAPS feature. It makes the post more difficult to read, and is considered to be rude (as though you were SHOUTING at us). Thanks.

mmelte

Describe how you are measureing voltage at the utility feeds. Phase to phase or phase to ground/neutral. Do you now have around 240V phase to phase?

Is this an overhead or underground service? Did you open the main breaker and then close it?

More information will be needed to give help.

120v phase to ground, 240v phase to phase. overhead service. did not open and close the main. I previously lost power on one of the circuits for a second.

mmelte

This happens when there is either a bad main breaker or a bad connection. When the load is relieved from the conductor and then turned on again it moves something around and makes contact. Guaranteed it will come back. My bet is the main breaker.

Were all the loads that were off from the same phase?

yes all were on the same phase. I had previously lost power on one of the circuits of that phase for a few seconds.

Tom176

Loose Connection?

Loose Connection?

It is likely somewhere you have a loose connection. Cycling the breakers may have bridged the open connection. Often I have found them in the electric outlets which are daisy chained, especially when the socket connections are used rather than the screws. I have also had a similar problem manifest with a loose ground on the utility transformer.

mgookin

I HAVE A 125A SINGLE PHASE PANEL. S
OME OF THE CIRCUITS WENT OFF THROUGHOUT THE HOUSE.
NO BREAKERS WERE TRIPPED, HOWEVER I HAD NO VOLTAGE ON ONE OF THE UTILITY FEEDS.
I OPENED ALL OF THE LOAD BREAKERS, AND THE VOLTAGE WAS RESTORED ON THE FEED.
I THEN CLOSED THE BREAKERS AND EVERYTHING NOW WORKED.
I'M AFRAID THE PROBLEM WILL COME BACK. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP RESOLVING.
THANKS

120v phase to ground, 240v phase to phase. overhead service. did not open and close the main. I previously lost power on one of the circuits for a second.

In your first post, at what point in your system are you determining it's the utility feed? And do you mean one leg?

If you're measuring this at your main OCPD, you should have POCO come open your meter pan and while they are there, turn on loads and see where the problem is. It could be their tranny or anything in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.