Installing whole house generator transfer switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm installing a 320 amp service with 2 200 amp panels my client wants to have generator back up. A portable generator now and a stand alone generator in the near future. If I install a transfer switch on one of the 200 amp panels and made everything in that panel essential for emergency use. Could I simple put a 50 amp generator inlet outlet on the transfer switch side and be ok by code. That way he can easily add a generator in the future.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If you limit the generator inlet to 50A into a 200A panel you have three choices:
1 Use an automatic transfer switch {ATS) and provide automatic load shedding down to the generator capacity.
2 Use an ATS and show a calculated load on the panel which is within the generator capacity.
3 Use a manual transfer switch.

Only number 3 will work without modification for both a current small generator and a future larger one.

I'm finding most automatic transfer switches require 12 or 24 volts for the relay to transfer. Is this correct or are there some that do not. I would be fine using a ATS and keeping the 1 panel at a minimum load for a generator to keep cost down. I could simple nipple between the two and switch the feed from panel to panel to the size of the generator. He talked about having 1 sized for a portable 17500 kw generator.

iwire

Staff member
In general you do not use an ATS with a portable generator.

Portables need to be set up and you switch the manual transfer switch at that time.

Get a generator interlock kit for one of the panels and you will be fine.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Get a generator interlock kit for one of the panels and you will be fine.
Blasphemy!!!! Well, not really..... as long as it's listed and all...or not......
But you're saving a bucket of money and making sense!

Status
Not open for further replies.