Window A/C Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wander

We are installing Window PTAC units in A high rise multi family building. The owner is dead set on on Using the Hard wire Kit instead of the supplied cord provided. My questions are as follows. Am I required GFCI protection because the Cord was equipped with a LCDI? Am I required to Provide a disconnecting means at the end of the hard wire kit? The Panel is in site and less than 25' from the PTAC (but will have furniture ETC between them) and Finally Will I be required to provide a lockable breaker?

I am afraid I know the answers to these questions but I am hoping another set of eyes will be less biased than mine will have some thoughts.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
IMO, if the unit comes with a cord you can not cut the end and modify it. I could be wrong, but that will violate the UL listing.

I am sure better minds will chime in.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
IMO, if the unit comes with a cord you can not cut the end and modify it. I could be wrong, but that will violate the UL listing.

I am sure better minds will chime in.
The OP's mention of a Hard Wire Kit makes it sound like a field conversion sanctioned by the manufacturer.
In that case the UL requirement for cord end GF protection may not apply. But a GFCI breaker may be required by manufacturer or good design practice.
You will have to meet the disconnect requirements one way or another. Either switch (snap switch?) or lockable breaker.

kwired

Electron manager
We are installing Window PTAC units in A high rise multi family building. The owner is dead set on on Using the Hard wire Kit instead of the supplied cord provided. My questions are as follows. Am I required GFCI protection because the Cord was equipped with a LCDI? Am I required to Provide a disconnecting means at the end of the hard wire kit? The Panel is in site and less than 25' from the PTAC (but will have furniture ETC between them) and Finally Will I be required to provide a lockable breaker?

I am afraid I know the answers to these questions but I am hoping another set of eyes will be less biased than mine will have some thoughts.
I agree with GD that it sounds like the manufacturer makes a hardwire kit that should be acceptable for converting to hardwiring connection method.

This does kick in additional concerns for local disconnecting means, but if the branch circuit device is within sight and within 25 feet I don't see any problem with that, it is permitted to be considered the disconnecting means. You may get variances on how inspectors view furnishings between a disconnect and the equipment it supplies - so check with them if concerned about that.

LCDI/AFCI is covered by 440.65, and should only apply to cord and plug connected units. So unless it is a 120 volt unit and in a location mentioned in 210.12 AFCI is not needed.

Lockable breaker is not required.

Status
Not open for further replies.