MC wire not rated out of sleeve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBerner

I had inspector tell me that "MC #12 wire can not be used out of it's casing". He said it is not rated for running in an EMT conduit. Is that correct? The wire has no "print" on it, but it is still THHN 12 gage.

JFletcher

Isn't one of the requirements of conductors to be used in conduit to have markings or "print" on them?

Yep, found it: 310.11 (A) an (B) (2008 NEC). If it's marked it's okay. If not, when transitioning from MC to EMT, one would have to use marked THHN/THWN for the section of EMT, not what is pulled out of a section of MC cable.

eta: would a printed tag allow otherwise unmarked cable to be used? (310.10(B)(4))

TobyD

Are you pulling short pieces out of the MC and using them?Or do you mean running long pieces a few feet or so(10' as an example) from a transition point?Maybe like going from a ceiling with MC then down through Emt for a wall mount recpt./switch etc..

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Yep, found it: 310.11 (A) an (B) (2008 NEC). If it's marked it's okay. If not, when transitioning from MC to EMT, one would have to use marked THHN/THWN for the section of EMT, not what is pulled out of a section of MC cable.

eta: would a printed tag allow otherwise unmarked cable to be used? (310.10(B)(4))

Isn't one of the requirements of conductors to be used in conduit to have markings or "print" on them?

310.11(a) requires the conductors to have the marking and 310.11(b) (4) allows optional marking. But I don't think only marked conductor must be installed in a raceway.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Every traffic violation that we get includes the violated vehicle code: Every NEC violation that we get must include the NEC violated section.

I always ask for code reference. However, code interpretation is a different story.

peter d

Doesn't the plastic tape with all the information count as "marked conductors"? Yes, I know it's not printed on the individual conductors and the tape gets cut off and thrown away. Still, I agree that it's an absurd call. Some inspectors have nothing better to do with their time. :roll:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
No confusion as to what they are intended for.
Tell the overzealous inspector to pound sand. ( NOT)
Just be polite and show him the code and the parts
Just because they make and sell a product does not mean that using that product is code compliant.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Just because they make and sell a product does not mean that using that product is code compliant.

Like these, for instance? They have these on the shelf at Lowe's.

032664534461lg.jpg

That's the entire thing, there is nothing covering the hot and neutral screws.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Like these, for instance? They have these on the shelf at Lowe's.

032664534461lg.jpg

That's the entire thing, there is nothing covering the hot and neutral screws.

And what is wrong with that. There are legitimate uses for those.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
And what is wrong with that.

Oh, I dunno.....maybe the fact there is a bare hot conductor with no covering or insulation on it?

There are legitimate uses for those.

Yeah, a thing for my electrical museum collection. (I actually bought one just for that purpose). Other than that, how can any competent electrician or inspector legitimize the use of a live, open, un-insulated hot terminal a couple inches from where a persons hand would be when changing out a bulb?

Status
Not open for further replies.