How Long To Strip Wire For Receptacles? A video tale of woe

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
:thumbsup:. If the person coming behind you is an electrician then he/she should know the risks of not turning off the breaker or should know how to remove a non taped device safely while live.
No question about it. If you don't torque down the unused screws that leaves about 1/4" less room (side to side) to pull the receptacle out without hitting the side of the metal box. Just saying - why take the chance?

As for protecting ho's, it's why we have faceplates- if the ho is ignorant/willing enough to work on a hot receptacle to begin with, then what stops them from being shocked anyway when they remove the tape?:)
Nothing. I would just have taken the extra measure. That's just me.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Maybe it's just me and my demented sense of humor, but there's nothing funnier than watching a guy pull a recep out of a metal box when he only assumed it's taped up, and he blows it up on the mud ring.

As for the wire strip length, the worst I've seen is about 2"......in a metal box, no less.....not taped up lol

JFletcher

Maybe it's just me and my demented sense of humor, but there's nothing funnier than watching a guy pull a recep out of a metal box when he only assumed it's taped up, and he blows it up on the mud ring.

As for the wire strip length, the worst I've seen is about 2"......in a metal box, no less.....not taped up lol

You should be ashamed at yourself... for a tenth of a second, after you finish laughing. :D

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
I do screw the unused screws down, but I never use tape on the screws. I run into taped receptacles in doing rework and it usually is just a sticky mess. I like clean work.:)

Agreed. The sticky goo is next to impossible to get off your hands without a solvent.

The old grumpy journeyman I learned from always said that if you taped your outlets, you had something about your workmanship that you wanted to hide. Not sure I agree, but to this day, I always take that extra second to make sure the terminations are done well. And I don't tape my outlets. Thanks, Randy ;)

SceneryDriver

highlegdelta

fae1f7109287ddd6d08040335b8c58c3.jpg

There was a change order to put FRP up in this medical center we had finished. I went in to pull the receptacles/switches/nurse call out of the wall for the FRP guys and found this. Talked to the foreman and I guess they put a first year on trim with no supervision. While I was waiting for the FRP guys to finish, I went around checking receptacles. Luckily they first year was pretty slow and didn't do very many.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

James L

Occupation
Electrician
You should be ashamed at yourself... for a tenth of a second, after you finish laughing. :D

Man, I have a hard time keeping it together when I see something that would make an "epic fail" video. I've had to leave the premises to be able to get my composure back...

I love a good laugh at others' expense...shameful indeed
:lol:

JFletcher

fae1f7109287ddd6d08040335b8c58c3.jpg

There was a change order to put FRP up in this medical center we had finished. I went in to pull the receptacles/switches/nurse call out of the wall for the FRP guys and found this. Talked to the foreman and I guess they put a first year on trim with no supervision. While I was waiting for the FRP guys to finish, I went around checking receptacles. Luckily they first year was pretty slow and didn't do very many.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeesh. Just a *wee* bit overstripped. Can't stand drywall compound/dust in my boxes either.

highlegdelta

Yeesh. Just a *wee* bit overstripped. Can't stand drywall compound/dust in my boxes either.
Especially when it looks like a taper cleaned off his trowel in your box and you have to spend a minute carving it out and pulling wires out of the mud.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.