REDANDANT GROUNDING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toros

HI
Can we use flexible meteal raceways that include complete circuit(s) plus two insulated grounding condactors
in medical / operatin rooms / in medical facilities
instead of green MC cable withextra grounding cond. ?????
thanx

topgone

HI
Can we use flexible meteal raceways that include complete circuit(s) plus two insulated grounding condactors
thanx

If you are refering to the use of MC cables, IMO, the cable armor is not qualified as an equipment grounding conductor. Your MC cable should have a dedicated grounding conductor (green) as you posted. Please see 250.118.

JFletcher

HI
thanx

No. The armor must qualify as a ground path; regular MC doesnt, even one with 2 ground wires.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Agree with the others. Two insulated grounding conductors can not serve as a substitute for
the raceway serving as a ground.
As you look at Art 517, there are a few very limited cases where FMC can be used but not as a substitute for a redundant grounding method.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
HI
Can we use flexible metal raceways that include complete circuit(s) plus two insulated grounding condactors
As noted in post #4, in my opinion, there are a few limited locations where flex, if it qualifies under 250.118, can be used for flexibility but, in general, the answer is "no", regardless of the number of grounding conductors.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Along with what the others have said, except for a few exceptions you can't use flexible wiring methods for the Critical and Life Safety branches either, see 517.30(C)(3)(3)

Roger

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It is nor just redundant grounding. The code wants an external metallic surface that is qualified as an EGC to help maintain equal potential between all conductive objects. A second grounding conductor within the raceway does not accomplish that.

Jarp Habib

No. The armor must qualify as a ground path; regular MC doesnt, even one with 2 ground wires.
The green MC the OP is talking about (if it is what i think it is) is listed for hospital use. It contains an uninsulated bonding wire in intimate contact with the armor that is sized according to 250 as a full equipment grounding conductor. Southwire HCF MCAP is the brand I'm familiar with, there may be others.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.