Forming and pouring your own concrete pull box for underground?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnWalker

I am working on a high rise building that has a complex structural slab. We have some long electrical runs below that slab that are going to require some pull boxes. Are you allowed to form and pour your own concrete pull box provided that it meets the NEC sizing requirements for a pull box? Or would it need to be a UL listed precast box?

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
We've had concrete subs form housekeeping pads with recessed troughs under MCC's without any issues. I'd see this as being pretty similar.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
We've had concrete subs form housekeeping pads with recessed troughs under MCC's without any issues. I'd see this as being pretty similar.
Having the trough in the housekeeping pad, not the slab may be different from a handhole coming up through the slab. Worth asking the engineer anyway.

mgookin

The structural engineer should do the design while meeting the requirements of the electrical engineer, assuming code allows a non-listed box.

JohnWalker

The structural engineer should do the design while meeting the requirements of the electrical engineer, assuming code allows a non-listed box.

This is exactly what we are proposing. The structural engineer does not just want to make holes in the slab around precast pull boxes that we have installed in grade. So, he is proposing that he design the pull box and integrate it into his structural slab design. The size of the pull box will be as dictated by the NEC at a minimum. Then we would probably purchase a precast traffic rated lid to cover the pullbox and allow future access. The only thing that we were not sure about is, does a concrete pull box or pulling gallery need to be UL listed for that purpose?

mgookin

This is exactly what we are proposing. The structural engineer does not just want to make holes in the slab around precast pull boxes that we have installed in grade. So, he is proposing that he design the pull box and integrate it into his structural slab design. The size of the pull box will be as dictated by the NEC at a minimum. Then we would probably purchase a precast traffic rated lid to cover the pullbox and allow future access. The only thing that we were not sure about is, does a concrete pull box or pulling gallery need to be UL listed for that purpose?

Thank you for the clarification.

I'm going to suggest you contact the electrical plans examiner for the jurisdiction the project is in. In writing would be best (e-mail?) so you have something for your file. That's assuming these are house-owned conductors and not POCO conductors, in which case it's the local electric utility you'd be dealing with.

luckylerado

When I have pulled submittals together for the Corps of Engineers on precast or cast in place underground concrete pull boxes / handholes, the requirement has always been to provide calculations from a structural engineer. Never has UL listing been a requirement for something like this.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
That section does not include handhole enclosures. 314.30 does

314.30 Handhole Enclosures.
Handhole enclosures shall be designed and installed to withstand all loads likely to be
imposed on them. They shall be identified for use in underground systems

And it seems very likely that the CE is capable of so identifying them. :)

mgookin

That section does not include handhole enclosures. 314.30 does

314.30 Handhole Enclosures.
Handhole enclosures shall be designed and installed to withstand all loads likely to be
imposed on them. They shall be identified for use in underground systems

I was going on the premise we were dealing with pull boxes which are described in the scope of 314 (314.1) to include boxes used as .... pull boxes .... because OP asked about a pull box

If you say it's not a pull box and it's a handhole, then that's what it is.

jumper

I was going on the premise we were dealing with pull boxes which are described in the scope of 314 (314.1) to include boxes used as .... pull boxes .... because OP asked about a pull box

If you say it's not a pull box and it's a handhole, then that's what it is.

A handhole enclosure is really just a pull box in the ground. The sizing dimensions are the same for both.

Status
Not open for further replies.