Can anyone recommend a good coaxial cable stripper/compression connectors for RG6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnDS

Occupation
Electrician
Hello,

I do not do much low voltage, but I have a box of RG6 and I need to extend a few lines around my house. I do not own a coaxial cable stripper or compression connectors and hoping someone can recommend some. Here is a picture of the label for the coaxial cable that I have. I am not sure if it is tri shield or quad shield, so hopefully someone can clarify that as well and recommend the appropriate tool/connectors for such. Thank you.

Originally I was thought maybe the CST596711 was a good choice, but there are numerous tools under that same model # which is very odd.

Attachments

• 20160225_175822.jpg
    20160225_175822.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 0

JFletcher

I use a Paladin compression tool and two stage stripper (think Ideal makes it), and PPC EX6 fittings. If you need it NOW, you can go to a BB store and get an Ideal compression tool which works with their (expensive) fittings, maybe PPC EX6XL fittings (which are longer than EX6's) too. The stripper and compression tool will run 50-90$.

From the part #, I got one hit: an ebay listing that says it's tri-shield cable. Appears to be older stock as everything Ive seen recently also has RoHS compliance stickers/labels on it.

If you're not going to do any more coax work, you're better off buying precut lengths that are already terminated and use barrel connectors to join to existing wire.

JohnDS

Occupation
Electrician
I use a Paladin compression tool and two stage stripper (think Ideal makes it), and PPC EX6 fittings. If you need it NOW, you can go to a BB store and get an Ideal compression tool which works with their (expensive) fittings, maybe PPC EX6XL fittings (which are longer than EX6's) too. The stripper and compression tool will run 50-90$.

From the part #, I got one hit: an ebay listing that says it's tri-shield cable. Appears to be older stock as everything Ive seen recently also has RoHS compliance stickers/labels on it.

If you're not going to do any more coax work, you're better off buying precut lengths that are already terminated and use barrel connectors to join to existing wire.

Thank you for your time and information. A couple of questions:

1) Those PPC EX6 fittings you had mentioned, the cable company that came and installed the a few things uses those and I was trying to find out what kind they were. On the connectors they use it reads PPC EX6 15. What is the "15" all about.

2) Secondly, the tool you use you had mentioned is a two stage stripper. Does this mean that it also can be used to compress the fittings? If this is the case, then I would want something like that, that does both. I wasn't aware that the model I had posted is "only" a stripper.

3) Not to take away from what you mentioned you used, but I found this on the internet and wondering if you or anyone has experience with this:

Are these any good?

Tool: http://www.amazon.com/THOMAS-BETTS-IT1000-AUGAT-SNAP-N-SEAL/dp/B000X0L5EC

Fittings(these are for RG6 but are universal for stand, tri, and quad: http://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Betts-..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=02F21Q3HHA1D8RMN0PGV

How do you think this setup would be?

JFletcher

Thank you for your time and information. A couple of questions:

1) Those PPC EX6 fittings you had mentioned, the cable company that came and installed the a few things uses those and I was trying to find out what kind they were. On the connectors they use it reads PPC EX6 15. What is the "15" all about.

2) Secondly, the tool you use you had mentioned is a two stage stripper. Does this mean that it also can be used to compress the fittings? If this is the case, then I would want something like that, that does both. I wasn't aware that the model I had posted is "only" a stripper.

3) Not to take away from what you mentioned you used, but I found this on the internet and wondering if you or anyone has experience with this:

Are these any good?

Tool: http://www.amazon.com/THOMAS-BETTS-IT1000-AUGAT-SNAP-N-SEAL/dp/B000X0L5EC

Fittings(these are for RG6 but are universal for stand, tri, and quad: http://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Betts-..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=02F21Q3HHA1D8RMN0PGV

How do you think this setup would be?

The "15" designation, no idea what that is. afaik, there are two basic connectors, the EX6, and the EX6XL, which are about a 1/4" longer than EX6. I prefer the EX6 as that 1/4" shorter means a *bit* more space in cable boxes, and tight areas like wall mount TVs. iirc, the cable co uses the EX6XL because those connectors fit the tools they were already equipped with.

That tool you linked, I havent used one like it. It doesnt say which connector it works on. If it's made for the longer ones, it wont properly compress the shorter ones, and if its made for the short ones it will damage (overcompress or lock up) if using the long ones. They make adjustable compression tools which work on all types (like the Paladin), tho knowing how far to compress the connectors with them is a bit of trial and error.

Snap and Seals are fine tho pricey. Last time I got a 1000pk of EX6 for $80 (8c per connector); they are more now. 50c-$1 ea is way too much if doing any amount of coax work.

Whatever you do, stay away from crimp and screw on connectors.

eta: cant recommend this particular compression tool tho it looks ok, and with the strippers included, the price cant be beat:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W3I0L38?psc=1

JohnDS

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks for the link. Maybe that is the best option since I don't do coax on the regular.

Oh and the fittings I posted are actually for the snap n seal tool i had posted. I believe they are in fact snap n seal connectors. They come in different colors for the types of coax.

Thanks for your time and help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

1 million coax cables later

1 million coax cables later

Worked with Comcast for way too many years and overall for half of my life.
I highly recommend this tool since I've tried quite honestly maybe way too many but somehow this one has always been reliable.

Brand: Cable Prep
Made in the USA

Here is a picture

Cable-Stripper.jpg

Attachments

• Cable-Stripper.jpg
    Cable-Stripper.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.