Recomendations apartment

Status
Not open for further replies.

KundaliniZero

f223bd35689b45ae530f1cdd29c19ba9.jpg

Hi
I live in southamerica, Chile and i would like to apply NEC at least in some part of my instalation, because recently i am living in my own 1995' s apartmen but the panel board is small and is not complying electrical local law which is based on Nec so i know in the future we are going to put more protections like over voltage devices (it's hard to find here)

First of all, i would like to know if you know if i could destroy a little more my wall because i have no space in panel board i think i could dig and put a bigger one. At least if you have saw something similar because i thing i should ask and architect before.

Second, i really don t know why in houses and apartment we use a single wire instead of cable (a lot of wires). It is because of corrosion?

Third, All wires are joined together with electrical tape neutral, phase and earth.

I hope you can give me advices from you experience.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9195 mediante Tapatalk

John120/240

I would replace it with a modern 20 space panel. You are in Chile & I'm not familiar with your requirements, but since the NEC is a minimum standard install to the NEC & you should be good.

user 100

Hi
I live in southamerica, Chile and i would like to apply NEC at least in some part of my instalation, because recently i am living in my own 1995' s apartmen but the panel board is small and is not complying electrical local law which is based on Nec so i know in the future we are going to put more protections like over voltage devices (it's hard to find here)

First of all, i would like to know if you know if i could destroy a little more my wall because i have no space in panel board i think i could dig and put a bigger one. At least if you have saw something similar because i thing i should ask and architect before.

Second, i really don t know why in houses and apartment we use a single wire instead of cable (a lot of wires). It is because of corrosion?

Third, All wires are joined together with electrical tape neutral, phase and earth.

Up here we use wire connectors, ( wirenuts or crimps ) not tape, to join conductors in a residence. Also you mentioned the lack of "over voltage devices", and I'm assuming you mean the equivalent of what we call a circuit breaker.

Not to be rude here but these to me are diy types of questions and the best advice I could give you is that you really need to get in touch w/ a local electrical contractor familiar with your local codes there in Chile.:)

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I personally don't see anything really 'wrong" with the install. It is a box inset into a wall with some Cbs mounted in it and what appears to be some kind of cover plate that has been removed.

juz720

f223bd35689b45ae530f1cdd29c19ba9.jpg

Hi

A 100 amp 10/20 load center w/ main breaker would be suitable - especially when installing new circuits in the future. If anything extra I would do accompanying the install - install dedicated circuits for those small appliances, refrig. Make the small appliance circuit gfci.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

KundaliniZero

Up here we use wire connectors, ( wirenuts or crimps ) not tape, to join conductors in a residence. Also you mentioned the lack of "over voltage devices", and I'm assuming you mean the equivalent of what we call a circuit breaker.

Not to be rude here but these to me are diy types of questions and the best advice I could give you is that you really need to get in touch w/ a local electrical contractor familiar with your local codes there in Chile.:)
Don't worry I think i have enought knowlodge to do the instalation myself because i am electrical engineer, and i will take care to avoid accident. I am here because i do not know all and i want to know more from NEC or other standars. So don t worry i don't kill myself hahhaha.

So, We have circuits breakers only in phase (we have not CB that works in phase and neutral) but we must put ground fault devices only in circuit with socket since 2003 and ilumination circuit can stay without ground fault system to protect people.

In my opinion my local electrical law is not so strong and i would like to have a better standar at home.

PD: i am learning your abreviation i have NEC but an old one. If someone could put the abreviation and the name of the common devices it will help me a lot

kwired

Electron manager
Don't worry I think i have enought knowlodge to do the instalation myself because i am electrical engineer, and i will take care to avoid accident. I am here because i do not know all and i want to know more from NEC or other standars. So don t worry i don't kill myself hahhaha.

So, We have circuits breakers only in phase (we have not CB that works in phase and neutral) but we must put ground fault devices only in circuit with socket since 2003 and ilumination circuit can stay without ground fault system to protect people.

In my opinion my local electrical law is not so strong and i would like to have a better standar at home.

PD: i am learning your abreviation i have NEC but an old one. If someone could put the abreviation and the name of the common devices it will help me a lot

What is your typical supply system voltage for dwellings?

Most of North America is 120/240 volts three wire with grounded neutral.

European countries is mostly just 240 volts two wire with one of them grounded. If you have this system then NEC isn't really the best installation standard to follow because there are many conflicts that will come up with NEC compliance if you don't have 120 volts available, a standard used in European countries would be better.

growler

I personally don't see anything really 'wrong" with the install. It is a box inset into a wall with some Cbs mounted in it and what appears to be some kind of cover plate that has been removed.

I don't know if there is anything wrong or not. We don't know anything about this installation other than it's in an apartment.

We don't know how much power is need in the apartment. Size of the apartment and applainces. Are they cooking , heating and hot water with gas. They have four circuits but if all they need are lights, TV, and refrigerator and maybe a coffee pot then that may be enough.

If as Kwired says they are useing European power then 4 circuits can go a long way. One 16 amp circuit at 230V volts can supply a lot of devices.

We would need a much better description of what is there to make comments on what needs to be done.

KundaliniZero

"What is your typical supply system voltage for dwellings?"

Chile is 220 volts, 50hz two wires (phase, neutral) and another wire earth conected to a cooper bar (cero volts and an atractive path to fault current). This is for homes and apartments.

The distribution line is three phases
with grounded neutral. 380 volts between phases.

"European countries is mostly just 240 volts two wire with one of them grounded."

This systems exist in obsolets places, another apartment than i know has this system. For me, Our law is relaxed so people do not need to change it, but it is suggest by distribution companies.

" If you have this system then NEC isn't really the best installation standard to follow because there are many conflicts that will come up with NEC compliance if you don't have 120 volts available, a standard used in European countries would be better"

Mmmm maybe i should see european standard. If someone has it, i would like to see a picture similar than mine but well done hahhaa

growler

"What is your typical supply system voltage for dwellings?"

Chile is 220 volts, 50hz two wires (phase, neutral) and another wire earth conected to a cooper bar (cero volts and an atractive path to fault current). This is for homes and apartments.

The distribution line is three phases
with grounded neutral. 380 volts between phases.

That sounds typical of European power. What you need is BS 7671 and some of the reference books to help you understand all of the rules. It's harder to understand than the NEC.

Why not call some of the local contractors and see what code books they use as a reference.
If they don't use any then go to a technical library and see if you can find books on European power.

KundaliniZero

uploadfromtaptalk1457465054830.jpg

Hey! Just because i am curious Do you know a technique to determinate electrix wire path inside a solid wall?

I have been investigating and i would like to heard what do you do in that situation.

I have put an image with two socket conected between them. What if someone want to put another in the middle?

jumper

View attachment 14592

Hey! Just because i am curious Do you know a technique to determinate electrix wire path inside a solid wall?

I have been investigating and i would like to heard what do you do in that situation.

I have put an image with two socket conected between them. What if someone want to put another in the middle?

If that is a solid poured concrete wall, one way to add a receptacle would be the use of surface mounted raceways.

A common type here would be a product called wiremold.

Here is a link:

http://www.wiremoldproducts.com/?gclid=CMHMmdPrscsCFdgQgQodfDcCIQ

Status
Not open for further replies.