Core drilling through carpeted floor

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I have to install some poke through devices on the second floor of an office building the area is carpeted. I have always used water, put never through carpet. How do I core drill through the concrete without soaking the carpet?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
See what a concrete drilling company quotes you to do the job?
Is it possible to cut back a large flap of carpet around the hole to let you set up a containment system?

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
What size hole and how thick is the pour? I've done this before with a carpeted floor and just did it dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Cut back a section of carpet making a flap and use a shop vac to suck up the water as you drill. Done this many times, you can duct tape the edges to keep the water from seeping under the carpet.

J.P.

I have drilled through a non carpeted dyed and epoxied floor once.

I used a 5 gallon bucket and simply put the shop vac hose in the bucket to suck up the derbies.
I duct taped the edge of the bucket down to the floor to seal it to the concrete. That might work for short napped carpet.

I have drilled through a non carpeted dyed and epoxied floor once.

I used a 5 gallon bucket and simply put the shop vac hose in the bucket to suck up the derbies.
I duct taped the edge of the bucket down to the floor to seal it to the concrete. That might work for short napped carpet.

Thanks jp. That sounds like a goo idea.

Plus doing the flaps and using duct tape is a good idea.

Unfortunately, we won't sub it out, it will be me doing it.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Thanks jp. That sounds like a goo idea.

Plus doing the flaps and using duct tape is a good idea.

Unfortunately, we won't sub it out, it will be me doing it.

Like Infinity, I have done this several times. It is important to cut back the carpet, not for the water, but so that the core bit doesn't snag a thread. It doesn't need to be a big hole. Using a shop vac and keeping the water flow down will not wet the carpet enough to worry about, in my opinion. Generally you have more worry about the water that drips out to the floor below, once the bit punches through.

The floor is just concrete poured on decking. I am sure there is some rebar in there, but no conduit's buried in the concrete. I will look at using a small bucket to make a barrier and use a shop vac to suck up the extra water. Keep it as dry as possible.

Thanks for your help guys.
Shawn

ADub

Occupation
Core drilling through carpeted floor

Generally you have more worry about the water that drips out to the floor below, once the bit punches through.

Exactly. It doesn't sound like many realize the amount of water that sits in that hole as its being drilled. Yes some is expelled which can be vacuumed up but when the the bit is through there will be a bunch of dirty water all over whatever's underneath. If it's a smaller hole (<1.5") and a small slab (<12") my choice would be to do it dry, especially if the floor is say an 8-10" poured coredeck. The drill can handle it, it won't explode from lack of water. Ive done a whole office buildings worth of poke through boxes this way without a single issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

mgookin

The floor is just concrete poured on decking. I am sure there is some rebar in there, but no conduit's buried in the concrete. I will look at using a small bucket to make a barrier and use a shop vac to suck up the extra water. Keep it as dry as possible.

Thanks for your help guys.
Shawn

Sounds like you have a "wet deck" which is concrete poured over a corrugated steel sheet which spans bar joists. Am I right?

If that's the case, there is likely no rebar - just welded wire fabric and you can cut that all you want.

I'd like to suggest building up a drip edge around the area to be cored so give the water incentive to not track across the underside and make a big mess. You could use spray foam. If you have one point lowest, that is where the water is likely to drip. Put a wheel barrow under that point and you'll have your best chance of maintaining a clean job.

If you go waterless, you're going to have dust you don't want to deal with. Just trickle water enough to manage the dust. Slow & easy.

Strathead

Occupation
Exactly. It doesn't sound like many realize the amount of water that sits in that hole as its being drilled. Yes some is expelled which can be vacuumed up but when the the bit is through there will be a bunch of dirty water all over whatever's underneath. If it's a smaller hole (<1.5") and a small slab (<12") my choice would be to do it dry, especially if the floor is say an 8-10" poured coredeck. The drill can handle it, it won't explode from lack of water. Ive done a whole office buildings worth of poke through boxes this way without a single issue.

If a person is that concerned they should get a system like the Hilti, that has a water dam.

ADub

Occupation
If a person is that concerned they should get a system like the Hilti, that has a water dam.

I use a Hilton dd130, no dam

J.P.

I use a Hilton dd130, no dam

I went low tech and had a helper with a trash can stand on the other side of what I was drilling. No mess at all on his side. He kept the can pressed up against the ceiling while I drilled down to him. Simple and affordable.

Make sure you cut your carpet with a knife at least the size of your core bit first.

I drilled a bunch of bleachers a while back and didn't cut one first. It made a nice spot where it started pulling the napp out. Didn't matter because of where it was, but still....

Jarnipman

I thought of putting a 90 PVC elbow on my shop vac, duct taping it to concrete and drilling through the 90 to eliminate all dust if it's a zero tolerance dust or water area and it's say a smaller hole like 3/4 or less. Have yet to try this.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
So, I have to install some poke through devices on the second floor of an office building the area is carpeted. I have always used water, put never through carpet. How do I core drill through the concrete without soaking the carpet?

a few years back, i had to cut a 8" hole in a concrete floor that
had outdoor carpet glued to it.... festool makes a carbide bit
that fits in their jigsaws, and i used the festool sacrificial chip
guard, drilled a 1/2" hole thru the floor, and cut it with that, dry.

came out perfectly, no snags on carpet or anything. it was for
a legrand multimedia floor box. 8" hole, +1/8", -0" was the
specs for the hole.

took four blades... they wear out pretty quickly.

Strathead

Occupation
I went low tech and had a helper with a trash can stand on the other side of what I was drilling. No mess at all on his side. He kept the can pressed up against the ceiling while I drilled down to him. Simple and affordable.

Make sure you cut your carpet with a knife at least the size of your core bit first.

I drilled a bunch of bleachers a while back and didn't cut one first. It made a nice spot where it started pulling the napp out. Didn't matter because of where it was, but still....

I don't know about low tech. I am not even sure of another way you would do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.