Can I attach NM to edge of joists in an inaccessible location?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
You all have many years of experience and have seen many crawl spaces. How many times have you seen damaged NM cable because somebody has pulled on it in the crawl space?

I really do not see the difference between installing the NM cable right underneath the joists vs drilling 1" higher and then running the cable through it. If somebody is going to pull that one inch will not make a difference. I know Kwired said drill 2" up but the code does not require distance.

I think this is one the code section that does not make any sense, but we have to do it.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
You all have many years of experience and have seen many crawl spaces. How many times have you seen damaged NM cable because somebody has pulled on it in the crawl space?

I really do not see the difference between installing the NM cable right underneath the joists vs drilling 1" higher and then running the cable through it. If somebody is going to pull that one inch will not make a difference. I know Kwired said drill 2" up but the code does not require distance.

I think this is one the code section that does not make any sense, but we have to do it.
And it didn't exist till '08 or '11. And the reason it was adopted was to make the code more "consistent" between basements and crawl spaces. Stupid.

JFletcher

afaik joists cannot be drilled in the top or bottom two inches. but point taken, i have seen all kinds of crap supported from wiring in basements, even when it is run dead center thru the joist. at least if it's run thru bored holes, supporting something from the wire wont pull down the entire run.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
afaik joists cannot be drilled in the top or bottom two inches. but point taken, i have seen all kinds of crap supported from wiring in basements, even when it is run dead center thru the joist. at least if it's run thru bored holes, supporting something from the wire wont pull down the entire run.
What about crawl spaces?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I can visualize a cascading pullout of staples. Not going to happen with holes. Less tension in the wires too as you hang a load from them since they will sag more.

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
Technically a violation but I wouldn't think 2 seconds about doing it myself in this situation. Lots of great imaginations here, I particular liked the one about the dog getting into the crawl space and tugging on the low hanging Romex

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

peter d

I've watched a fair amount of HVAC videos on YT and a few channels feature guys who work in areas with crawlspaces almost exclusively. It's amazing how much of the NM cable is simply "clotheslined" right through the crawlspace without a single staple securing it. :lol:

JFletcher

I've watched a fair amount of HVAC videos on YT and a few channels feature guys who work in areas with crawlspaces almost exclusively. It's amazing how much of the NM cable is simply "clotheslined" right through the crawlspace without a single staple securing it. :lol:

I was in one (crawlspace, not a YT vid) not too long ago where there had been a renovation. Everything was draped across ductwork; I think there may have been 5 cable staples securing several hundred feet of NM. Made removal easy anyway.

What about crawl spaces?

Just the opposite, you/I never see anything stored in crawlspaces. Just remembered a few places I've done that start off as a basement (7' high) that devolve into crawlspaces; I'd guess the change [to 334.15(C)] including crawlspaces may have come from residences with such construction; at what point does a crawlspace become a basement? Prior to 08, i could have stapled half the small cable perpendicular to the studs in the low spots, but not the 'basement' part? We probably wouldn't have the rule for crawlspaces if lots were graded flat. and VA still makes the distinction; glad I haven't done a new-con house with such a space.

eta:
I can visualize a cascading pullout of staples.

Yeah, especially if it's larger gauge wire (6/2, 8/2)secured with staples made for 14-12/2.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.