nema type enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
i have a wire run thats pretty long and im max. out 360 degree. i want to put a 6''x24''x6'' trough as pull box in parking garage. i want to use a nema 1 enclosure but garage is a damp location. do you guys have any other ideas for pull boxes. i dont want to use LB or C condulet. I could use LB -D but those are expensive for 3'' conduit.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
Aren't standard metal wireways permitted in damp locations?

I thought nema 1 enclosure was predominately indoor. i was at another parking garage a few months ago and noticed while it was raining the 1900 boxes on wall were getting full of water. i assumed nema 1 werent to be used.

Carultch

i have a wire run thats pretty long and im max. out 360 degree. i want to put a 6''x24''x6'' trough as pull box in parking garage. i want to use a nema 1 enclosure but garage is a damp location. do you guys have any other ideas for pull boxes. i dont want to use LB or C condulet. I could use LB -D but those are expensive for 3'' conduit.

What direction is up, in your application? Is this on a wall, a ceiling or a floor?

You can get wireways in NEMA3R. Does any variant of those work for you in this application? You can either get top-load wireways, or front-load wire troughs.

A wire trough (front-load) is a complete enclosure, whereas a wireway (front-load in NEMA1, top-load in NEMA3R) works with coupling and termination fittings.

Last edited:

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
What direction is up, in your application? Is this on a wall, a ceiling or a floor?

You can get wireways in NEMA3R. Does any variant of those work for you in this application? You can either get top-load wireways, or front-load wire troughs.

A wire trough (front-load) is a complete enclosure, whereas a wireway (front-load in NEMA1, top-load in NEMA3R) works with coupling and termination fittings.

i am running in garage going up to second floor. i am pulling across the parking garage then turning up. i was thinking of a trough so i can bend wire easily going up
but i was concerned about the nema 1 enclosure. im not sure i can use in outdoor/damp location. i did consider the nema 3r but i cant use the wire its designed to sit.

iwire

Staff member

NEMA 3R or NEMA 4 wire way.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Just so you know, NEMA 3R is "raintight" but not actually water tight, it just means that if water enters, it gets out before getting to anything live. And "raintight" just means rain falling on top of it sheds off, that's why the orientation is important.

But more importantly, NEMA 1 does NOT have to pass any sore of corrosion resistance testing; the intended use is indoor, clean and dry. NEMA 12, 3R and 4 all include a salt spray test for corrosion resistance, then NEMA 3R and 4 also include additional tests that fall under "outdoor" use, meaning extra issues like snow, sleet and freezing rain (NEMA 12 does not). In a parking garage, moisture that comes in indirectly either from blowing rain or even just on the cars and dripping onto the floor will corrode anything that is not designed to handle that. So although technically not "outdoors" and subjected directly to the wind, ice and snow issues, you still want either N3R, N4 or at least N12 (which by the way is considered "drip tight").

Status
Not open for further replies.