NM on Plaster/Lathe ceiling basement 8ft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cletis

Hello,

I have a customer who has NM running all over a plaster/lathe ceiling approx 8'-8'4" height in a basement stapled all over the place. A home inspector wants him to get an electrician to remove it all and run in conduit. This to me doesn't seem like subject to physical damage and I don't even see how a home inspector could enforce this anyhow since it's 20+ yrs old.

Thoughts ?

growler

Hello,

I have a customer who has NM running all over a plaster/lathe ceiling approx 8'-8'4" height in a basement stapled all over the place. A home inspector wants him to get an electrician to remove it all and run in conduit. This to me doesn't seem like subject to physical damage and I don't even see how a home inspector could enforce this anyhow since it's 20+ yrs old.

Thoughts ?

A home inspector can't enforce anything. All they can do is write up items that they think could be possible problem for the future homeowner. The buyer can still purchase the home without making any changes (but will they).

I can see where a home inspector would have to write this up, if he didn't people would think him blind. Once he writes it up the action taken is up to the buyer and seller.

user 100

Hello,

Thoughts ?

Don't see the hazard either, besides maybe being ugly-- Unless the HI is worried about somebody using it hang stuff on or staple pull out, or whatever, but as Growler alluded to, HI's can really only recommend.

Cletis

it's strapped pretty good tight to the plaster lathe and I couldn't even reach it with my fingers. I had an inspector tell me once if it's 7' or less has to be through bored holes if more than 7' it's ok. I'm guessing that was his interpretation

macmikeman

Hello,

Thoughts ?

If it makes you feel any better, I ended up having to go back to a remodel job long since completed once to remove taped ends of spare future nm cables in the sheath and put wirenuts onto the ends of the conductors in them to keep the new owners of the house happy. Many e-mails and accusations of my ''hack'' termination of said spare cables (not any praise for putting them into a land locked panel for later use for air conditioning that would surely come.) from the so called expert home inspector regarding electrical tape on the ends of the cables. The new homeowners were threatening a lawsuit over it. took 5 minutes to concede to this request upon receiving a letter from the owners. I sent a bill for my time, and they actually sent me a check back to cover it.

growler

Now if the op can get the ho to fix the dent..... :D

Or they buyer and seller can negotiate on just how much this little dent affects the sale price of the house.

If I'm going to use a vehicle on a rough contruction site I may not care very much about a dent or two but I'm still not going to pay full price. I buy appliances that have small dents or scratches because I don't think anyone will inspect my washing maching once it's in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.