690.31(G)(1) interpretation

Status
Not open for further replies.

sketchy

I know in the 2011 code there was a section removed and relocated to 690.31(G)(1) that required DC PV source conductors run under the roof sheathing and not directly underneath modules had to be at least 12" below the sheathing. Am I understanding the 2014 code right in that whenever DC PV conductors deviate from underneath modules that signage is required on the roof regardless of how far under the sheathing they are?

SolarPro

You are misreading this. NEC 690.31(G)(1) applies to specifically building-integrated or at least roof membrane-integrated PV products. Think flexible PV laminates adhered to a TPO roofing membrane.

While this code section does not apply to conventional PV arrays, the International Fire Code or the NFPA 1 Fire Code detail some routing and labeling requirements for dc PV circuits. These requirements vary somewhat depending on which standard your AHJ enforces (IFC or NFPA 1). Generally speaking, you want to route these PV conduits along structural members and provide something like the 12" clearance when running perpendicular to structural members. While you have to label these conduits and pull boxes, I do not believe that you have to label the roof above these.

Jgreagori

From what I can get out of the code section 690.31(E)(1) has been removed, period. But why?? The section 690.31(G)(1) added referring to embedded in building surfaces really in my opinion does not replace it, but certainly refers to embedded not under or beneath. Any other thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.