HDMI cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
Looking for advice on purchasing decent quality HDMI cables. I purchased a 50 ft. cable from Home Depot for about 75 bucks to feed a 60" monitor. Ran it in the wall. It didn't work. I had a 25 footer and it works, but isn't long enough. How do you guys deal with HDMI cable?

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
They're directional at those lengths. Did you have it pulled in the right way?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
I attached the side labeled output to the HDMI port of a computer's video card and the input to the TV.

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
It looks like I got it backwards. What a dummy.

Oh well, it's an easy fix.

Bury this thread ASAP, somebody.

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
It looks like I got it backwards. What a dummy.

Oh well, it's an easy fix.

Bury this thread ASAP, somebody.

No way bud, they'll squeeze another 25 posts out of this baby

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I attached the side labeled output to the HDMI port of a computer's video card and the input to the TV.

50% chance of getting it right. Some are labelled "source" at the source end and "display" at the TV end. Harder to misinterpret that one.
With "input" it could be the input end of the cable or it could connect to the input jack on the TV.

Short HDMI cables are symmetrical and bidirectional.
Inexpensive long cables are too, but they have a length limit.
Expensive long cable, which push the 60' or so limit for "passive" cables have active electronics which amplify and contour the gain with frequency to get the best possible high speed digital signal out the other end. These are totally directional.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Something else to consider that may cost less, be easier to fish, or can possibly get more length is HDMI over dual cat5e/cat 6 cables baluns

Warning: That site shows inexpensive ($23) "active" baluns and expensive ($125) "passive" baluns that require a power supply at each end.
Anyone want to take odds on wether they mixed up active and passive?

Well, maybe they did get it right, since the expensive ones include multiplexing IR remote control signals over the same CAT connection.
And the active ones have a power supply input too and claim 140' range compared to just 100' for the passive.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Warning: That site shows inexpensive ($23) "active" baluns and expensive ($125) "passive" baluns that require a power supply at each end.
Anyone want to take odds on wether they mixed up active and passive?

Well, maybe they did get it right, since the expensive ones include multiplexing IR remote control signals over the same CAT connection.
And the active ones have a power supply input too and claim 140' range compared to just 100' for the passive.

I have purchased from that site before and one time based on my cart contents they contacted me telling me what I had wasn't recommended to use together (if that was my intention) and gave me alternate suggestions of what may work better.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
Curious... what makes them directional at that length, or any length for that matter?

Long HDMI cables have active electronics inside that use a DC supply present on a pair of pins in the cable to amplify and shape the digital signals so they don't degrade to the point where the receiver (TV) can't reliably decode them.

SceneryDriver

kwired

Electron manager
I never knew they were directional either. Had one recently that I didn't install but got asked to check out - customer didn't have TV when the cable was installed but when he did get tv it never worked. I tried to stay out of things since I wasn't running TV or sound on this job (a fitness center), but customer returned TV and got another one and still had same problem and asked me what was wrong - I determined TV worked when connected to a short cable to the satellite receiver but didn't work on the long cable - must be the cable, maybe better call the guys that installed it for you. I didn't know then but now something tells me it was probably installed the wrong direction.

Gene B

I've successfully used a 100ft passive HDMI cable to a projector (it was cheap, too). But the resolution is limited to 720p, 1080i, and the like. You can't do 1080/60p with such a cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.