In Ground Splice Box...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Occupation
Inspector
I've been asked to look at a project to repair the conduit and wiring for some column lights at Neighborhood entrance.

The existing conduit is PVC with THHN. I would need to install an in ground splice box, Christy/Quazite(?).

My question is: if I use outdoor rated connectors, can the THHN be spliced in an open bottom splice box. My gut is telling -- YES

Thanks

PS -- I really need to look into getting some help so I have someone to bounce this sort of thing off of.

iwire

Staff member
I've been asked to look at a project to repair the conduit and wiring for some column lights at Neighborhood entrance.

The existing conduit is PVC with THHN. I would need to install an in ground splice box, Christy/Quazite(?).

My question is: if I use outdoor rated connectors, can the THHN be spliced in an open bottom splice box. My gut is telling -- YES

Thanks

PS -- I really need to look into getting some help so I have someone to bounce this sort of thing off of.

Open bottom is fine, we use PVC hand holes about the size of a paint can for things like this.

CBGE_group_horizontal.jpg

Yes you must use outdoor connectors of some sort.

tkb

If it's straight THHN (not dual rated THWN) it cannot be in the raceway either.

I can't say that I have ever seen straight THHN that wasn't dual rated as THHN/THWN.

Also I have never seen it straight after it was pulled off the roll. :lol:

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I just got done doing a repair to a bunch of wires in a in-ground box that we're all fried together.

I believe that it was in part to a not so perfect sealing of the splicing method allowing some ground water to infiltrate to the connection and while energized appears to have started arcing that over time worked its way from the splice to about 8" or so along the insulation as it was degradated and burn-through spots were along that length of insulation.

So once I cut away the bad sections I spliced with crimp butt connectors with underground rated heat shrink tubes. Hoping that these will provide the best waterproof splice available.
One additional measure was that I removed a short section of the nylon coating off the THHN/THWN so there was no chance of water wicking between the nylon and insulation and into connection.

Something you may want to concider!?

Occupation
Inspector
I just got done doing a repair to a bunch of wires in a in-ground box that we're all fried together.

I believe that it was ......One additional measure was that I removed a short section of the nylon coating off the THHN/THWN so there was no chance of water wicking between the nylon and insulation and into connection.

Something you may want to concider!?

Something I had never considered, I'll give it some thought.

Thanks

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Can someone please point me to a code article addressing requirements for in-ground splices? I can't seem to "dig it up" :p
If you mean conduit and conductors entering a hand hole and needing to be spliced see 314.30(C).
Note this is a 4 year old thread. If you want to discuss further I think the mods will want you to start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.