Wireless doorbell recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Looking to install a wireless doorbell system in a 3 family building. Any recommendations on what type to use that you have had success with? Thanks

Believe it or not I have used the ones from Lowes years ago-- 4 or 5 years-- and they have been working fine.

mgookin

Believe it or not I have used the ones from Lowes years ago-- 4 or 5 years-- and they have been working fine.

We bought the same ones (Lowe's) and took them out. I don't remember what the problem was but I ran across them in a pile of odds & ends last week. Maybe I'll pull them back out.
I'm thinking the signal didn't come through. We are tilt panel construction.
Even when my front door is unlocked (commercial property) the FedEx guys leaves a sticker "nobody home". He claims that he knocks but I'm just a few feet from that door. There's no way.
Maybe I'll put the doorbell back up and rig some whacky trick to it, like dump a cup of water from 20' up or something... a piercing scream? train horn? rapid gunfire? Dogs? If the trick is outside, it will get the signal and I'll hear the commotion.

kwired

Electron manager
Only proven wireless doorbells I have ever seen is the canine variety.

On farm places or large acreages many of them go off as soon as a visitor enters the property or sometimes even before then.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Only proven wireless doorbells I have ever seen is the canine variety.

On farm places or large acreages many of them go off as soon as a visitor enters the property or sometimes even before then.
I have heard of a doorbell/intercom/camera/internet system that will call your cellphone and display what's on the camera, and you can answer from anywhere in the world, see the person at the door, and sound like you are home. Apparently it will also record the incident in cloud storage even if you don't answer the door.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
I have heard of a doorbell/intercom/camera/internet system that will call your cellphone and display what's on the camera, and you can answer from anywhere in the world, see the person at the door, and sound like you are home. Apparently it will also record the incident in cloud storage even if you don't answer the door.
Some of the canine variety double as active security systems as well:)

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
That Ring doorbell is great. The resolution is fantastic.
If it stolen they will replace it for free.
Works off of Battery or doorbell trans.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
...an electricians website discussing wireless doorbells installed by electricians :ashamed1::ashamed1::ashamed1:

mkgrady

I am very satisfied with SadoTech cxr model. Sold on Amazon. It has two plugin receivers. I have tried numerous others and had lots of problems with them.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Some of the canine variety double as active security systems as well:)
Yeah, but leaving a dog alone in the house for a two week vacation isn't going to work unless you have a very well trained dog. Our last dog would probably have invited his butt-sniffing buddies over for a poker game and left the mess for me to clean up.

kwired

Electron manager
Yeah, but leaving a dog alone in the house for a two week vacation isn't going to work unless you have a very well trained dog. Our last dog would probably have invited his butt-sniffing buddies over for a poker game and left the mess for me to clean up.
Who said the dog had to be in the house?

I've been to many farm places with outside dogs where you don't need to ring a doorbell when you get there, the dog(s) did their job;)

Status
Not open for further replies.