image_7.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]????
what say ye

imagejpeg

Last edited:

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
OK, second run at it using the online calculator I found here. Using a PF of 0.92, the answer is 1,901 HP.

JFletcher

within 5%
good guess

Wastewater plant?

Thank you.Yes. Williamsburg Waste Water Treatment plant, 22.5MGD facility. Huge blowers (for the flow), aeration tanks, and intermediate treatment due to it being designed to treat waste from Anheiser-Busch (InBev). 3 900HP blowers, only one of which ran at a time, usually with the intake vanes set at minimum (around 20% open). Got to see one self destruct once, upon startup it filled the entire blower room (roughly 40' wide x 200' long x 30' high) with what looked like fine glitter - the brushes on the rotor failed.

Ingenieur

Thank you.Yes. Williamsburg Waste Water Treatment plant, 22.5MGD facility. Huge blowers (for the flow), aeration tanks, and intermediate treatment due to it being designed to treat waste from Anheiser-Busch (InBev). 3 900HP blowers, only one of which ran at a time, usually with the intake vanes set at minimum (around 20% open). Got to see one self destruct once, upon startup it filled the entire blower room (roughly 40' wide x 200' long x 30' high) with what looked like fine glitter - the brushes on the rotor failed.

Yeast/BOD is a plant killer
like dairy waste

good size plant >20 mgd
my experience 1-5 mgd
I have a Class A operators license but did design not operation
it is a cool process and the output/product ie water is amazingly clean
usually better than the recieving stream

must have sounded like a bomb when it let go lol

JFletcher

Yeast/BOD is a plant killer
like dairy waste

good size plant >20 mgd
my experience 1-5 mgd
I have a Class A operators license but did design not operation
it is a cool process and the output/product ie water is amazingly clean
usually better than the recieving stream

must have sounded like a bomb when it let go lol

Yeah brew waste can approach 200,000mg/l BOD. Dairy waste is hard to treat as well. I have (had) a Class 1 VA WW license myself; let it lapse in 2012. Inbev pretreats now tho I remember one shift pulling a 12.6ph on my raw sample. :blink:

You can drink the effluent w/o getting sick but ofc it's not recommended. I did operations, and after running Nansemond for a year during and after its upgrade I really wanted to be an engineer (the plant had a very unfriendly layout and Westinghouse DCS system). That plant had BNR (Biological Nutrient Removal). It also had 6 26kw lighting towers that all came on at the same exact time, which played havoc with the centrifuges and blowers. I wonder if they ever solved that problem haha.

The blower or motor didnt come apart or anything spectacular like that; I caught it before that happened. I did see a 150HP ID fan weld itself together, which was pretty spectacular, seeing the outboard bearing glowing in the relative dark, wondering what kind of friction was required in a 4" OD bearing to bring a 5' 700lb fan wheel from 1800rpm to zero in a few screeching second.

Status
Not open for further replies.