• No

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • I feel neutral

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

growler

I foresee a new sport, teenage boys going out at 0200 and simultaneously blacking out an entire neighborhood for "fun".

A lot of the homes built in the last 20 or so years have an outside disconnect and we haven't had that problem. If you do have have a problem many of the disconnects are lockable (pad lock ).

If anyone willing to go on someone's property at 0200 AM and take a chance on getting shot or dog bit I guess they are welcome to try.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
Outside disconnect

Outside disconnect

Just make them finger safe with a boot. Why shield everything?

Two things. First, I have never understood why the manufacturer does not supply rubber boots to cover the lugs. It seems so simple and cheap.

Second, why has a combination meter-main breaker on the outside of the house not become standard practice? How much more could this possibly cost if it became standard practice? The high cost of AFCI breakers did not prevent them from being mandated!

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Oh fer cryin' out loud! So, exactly how many firefighters have been electrocuted in responding to residential fires? I foresee a new sport, teenage boys going out at 0200 and simultaneously blacking out an entire neighborhood for "fun".

And this is exactly why we need less rules not more. First, I can see the above playing out followed by entire communities padlocking their disconnects. In high crime areas that might not even work. But in any case come an emergency the power cant be killed. As is an outside disconnects is not a sure fired way to kill power with onsite generation and illegal service taps.

Personally Id focus more on the POCOs killing power then the NEC when it comes to fire fighting.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Two things. First, I have never understood why the manufacturer does not supply rubber boots to cover the lugs. It seems so simple and cheap.

Probably because its not mandated but IMO it should be. Rids of flash and the risk of shock. The cost would be far lower then other alternatives.

Second, why has a combination meter-main breaker on the outside of the house not become standard practice? How much more could this possibly cost if it became standard practice? The high cost of AFCI breakers did not prevent them from being mandated!

Code should not mandate design. The installer or designer should have be given all the power in that regard.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
A disconnect is for turning off the power so a piece of equipment can be worked on safely, it is not for emergency shut down.

By definition. However its still a good idea to be able to kill the power in a resi. The 6 throw rule hints at that also.

Because 150 volts to ground has nothing to do with arc flash.

C'mon now you know that is not true. You are being overly dramatic. Very very few 150V to ground systems have dangerous arc flash potential.

Because OSHAs directive is safety it is not make things easier.

I consider my drive to work more dangerous than working in a hot resi panel - just being realistic here.

growler

The disconnects can be padlocked in the closed position.

Which defeats the purpose of a disconnect. Thats classical back-fire at work.

You have to use a little common sense when padlocking a disconnect.

You don't buy high quality locks, you are not not trying to keep out real thieves and criminals, you are trying to keep kids out that may be up to mischief. You buy those cheap brass locks that one good rap with a hammer or fireman's ax and they are history.

If you think a cheap lock is hard to get off then try to remove a barrel lock on the meter to pull it. I have seen them get stuck and even the power company couldn't get them back off ( they have to be cut off ).

peter d

C'mon now you know that is not true. You are being overly dramatic. Very very few 150V to ground systems have dangerous arc flash potential.

I consider my drive to work more dangerous than working in a hot resi panel - just being realistic here.

It's quite irrelevant what your personal views are. The fact remains OSHA rules exist to protect employees and I'm glad I have the right to refuse live work.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
You buy those cheap brass locks that one good rap with a hammer or fireman's ax and they are history.
Actually, I believe that the FDs prefer the more expensive cheap brass locks that are labelled as having a "frangible shackle". (The shackle is made of cast iron and has narrowed spots to concentrate the stress.) That way you do not even have to bend the brass. You can also use a pry bar on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.