3 phase mixer 230 volts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerseydaze

I have a customer with a 3 phase mixer.The name plate says 230 volts the computer keeps shutting down due to high voltage. I believe this to be a power company problem .Meter reads 252 volts .I have never used a regulator any tips apriciated .

sparkyrick

What is the building voltage supposed to be, 208 or 240V?. If 208V, yes, you have a poco problem. If 240V, the poco will say it's within their acceptable limits. If it is 240V system voltage, you can install some buck/boost transformers and buck the voltage down.

Jerseydaze

I have a customer with a 3 phase mixer.The name plate says 230 volts the computer keeps shutting down due to high voltage. I believe this to be a power company problem .Meter reads 252 volts .I have never used a regulator any tips apriciated .

240 volt yes the poco says its in there limits.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
230 volts is the utilization voltage for a 240 volt supply system. This should not be an issue.

Just like the 3 phase motors with a nameplate voltage of 460 (utilization voltage) used on a 480 volt (nominal) supply system.

iwire

Staff member
230 volts is the utilization voltage for a 240 volt supply system. This should not be an issue.

Just like the 3 phase motors with a nameplate voltage of 460 (utilization voltage) used on a 480 volt (nominal) supply system.

Should not be but it is.

I have wired frozen drink machines at convenience stores that had much tighter voltage tolerances than what we expect.

Likely the machines controller could be reprogrammed to loosen up the operating perimeters but good luck getting the manufacturer to do so.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I agree. Who makes the mixer-possibly Hobart? Is it new? I would have their service tech look at it before I did anything. "Computer keeps shutting down"- what's that supposed to mean and why do you think it's because of the line voltage?

-Hal

kwired

Electron manager
Is there 120 volt controls and you by chance have control circuit connected to a high leg?

Another possibility is equipment designed for 208 or 240 but maybe you need to change a tap on a control transformer from 208 to 240.

Add:

Maybe the "computer" OP mentioned is a VFD and is getting an over voltage fault - which would likely mean some acceleration/deceleration paramaters need adjusted or a braking resistor is needed or is not working.

Jerseydaze

I agree. Who makes the mixer-possibly Hobart? Is it new? I would have their service tech look at it before I did anything. "Computer keeps shutting down"- what's that supposed to mean and why do you think it's because of the line voltage?

-Hal

The name plate is 230 volts .The machine runs fine for most of the time.When it's running fine voltage reads 240 volts. The computer displays " high voltage " and won't run the mixer.when it does this I read 252 volts .The voltage is not consistently the same which is why I thought this was a poco problem.

iwire

Staff member
The voltage is not consistently the same which is why I thought this was a poco problem.

The power company does not have to be consistent they only have to remain in the range.

This is the standard most power companies have to comply with.

ANSIC841.jpg

As you can see your 240 volt service has a range from 228 through 252 volts.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Are you sure your meter is accurate?

I found very few motors that ran close to FLA let alone overloaded with my first amp clamp. Side by by side comparison with another vendors meter answered that question. Now we double, or triple check readings when something is questionable.

kwired

Electron manager
The name plate is 230 volts .The machine runs fine for most of the time.When it's running fine voltage reads 240 volts. The computer displays " high voltage " and won't run the mixer.when it does this I read 252 volts .The voltage is not consistently the same which is why I thought this was a poco problem.
Maybe you have a voltage monitor that needs it's settings tweaked? Usually you shouldn't need to worry about it being too high until it reaches somewhere closer to 260

victor.cherkashi

Usually 240V is one phase system and mixer is 3 phase. How mixer gets 3 phase? Post in forum nameplate of mixer for clarification

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.