Water lines running through Electric rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

drun

Anybody know what section deals with water pipes running through electrical service rooms?
We have a 400 amp Motor Control Cabinet with a 5" water pipe running vertically 4" away from the gear. :dunce:
The back-flow valve blew out on this flooding the gear and a painter ran in to turn off the supply valve.
Good thing the GFI tripped before that. Else he'd be dead.

Last edited:

dkidd

Occupation
PE
Look at 110.26. But unless the pipe is in the required working space, it is not prohibited.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
It isn't unheard of for the sprinkler and domestic water risers to originate in an electrical room.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I know we got turned down once until the fire sprinkler was removed from the electric room.

Must be a local amendment. Nothing in NFPA 13 or 70 prohibits sprinklers in an electrical room.

I ran into this problem one time, it was an 8" RO line running vertically next to a 4160 MCC. I would have been ok with it: however, there was a flange about 12" above the MCC.:happysad:
We had a response from one of the design engineers, he stated "it's RO water, it will be ok because it's ~15 Mohm water" :slaphead:. Our suggestion to remove or lower it was shot down because there was no code violation. :rant:
We utilized a flange shroud, so it would direct the water downward.

Status
Not open for further replies.