Infrared heaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranger86

3-pole, 50A branch circuit feeds a group of 480V single phase infrared heaters. No neutral conductors.

#1. Can the whips to each heater be downsized to #12 AWG with no overcurrent protection at the heaters?
#2. Does the 50A 3-phase branch circuit need to be balanced?

This is actually an old installation that I need to bring up to code. I am looking at NEC 424.3 (A) and it says max branch circuit rated not over 50Amps but I feel the #12AWG are not allowed. Thanks, I appreciate your input.

Ranger86

3-pole, 50A branch circuit feeds a group of 480V single phase infrared heaters. No neutral conductors.

#1. Can the whips to each heater be downsized to #12 AWG with no overcurrent protection at the heaters?
#2. Does the 50A 3-phase branch circuit need to be balanced?

This is actually an old installation that I need to bring up to code. I am looking at NEC 424.3 (A) and it says max branch circuit rated not over 50Amps but I feel the #12AWG are not allowed. Thanks, I appreciate your input.

I think I found the answer to question #1.
See NEC 210.19 (A)(4) exception No. 1, (d). "Tap conductors shall have an ampacity sufficient for the load served. In addition, they shall have an ampacity of not less than 15 for circuits rated less than 40amps and not less than 20 for circuits rated at 40 or 50 amps and only where these tap conductors supply any of the following loads: ... (d) Infrared lamp industrial heating appliances."

Status
Not open for further replies.