Exhaust fan in shower

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaffen99

I did a renovation in an apartment, the bathroom had a through the wall fan in the shower existing. I replaced the cheap fan with a Panasonic Whisper Wall which says it is rated for a tub enclosure with GFCI protection. The instructions say to mount it 7' above finish floor, but I don't have that clearance. The existing hole in the block wall is about 6'. The architectural submittal says nothing of height, just that it is rated for the enclosure. The inspector is going with the instructions (7' AFF), even though its existing, is he right? And if he is, how would you move forward?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If you do not replace the fan, you do not have to "correct" the existing installation. And we do not know what its instructions said.
You may have to find a different replacement fan, if there is one which allows 6' AFF.

Gaffen99

Does the rehab code offer any wiggle room?

I'll look into that, thanks Rob. I'm waiting to here back from the manufacturer, tech support tells me that the spec is what i should go by and disregard the height in the instructions. But I can tell that to the inspector all day, without something in writing...

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'll look into that, thanks Rob. I'm waiting to here back from the manufacturer, tech support tells me that the spec is what i should go by and disregard the height in the instructions. But I can tell that to the inspector all day, without something in writing...

Just my opinion but this is the precise reason that we have the rehab code.

mwm1752

The funny thing is if I didn't replace the fan, then what?

If you didn't replace the fan the inspector would not have to take responsibility to read & follow manufactures listed for safety installation instructions and you could ignore a possible hazard -- maybe you could ignore the instructions for GFCI if the panel is fuses & its difficult to install a recept.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety

I'm a little hazy on the specifics, but as long as the work doesn't increase the "hazard" of an existing non-conformity it should be allowed.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I'm a little hazy on the specifics, but as long as the work doesn't increase the "hazard" of an existing non-conformity it should be allowed.

To what extent?

What if it were a receptacle in the tub area?

The OP is in a sticky wicket. 6 feet really is low for an electric motor and fan blades in a tub area, IMHO. I checked the directions he referred to, and the instructions actually say "7 to 10 feet". Six feet is lower than most shower heads.

I doubt he will find one that is listed and is allowed per instruction to be below 7 feet.

gadfly56

Occupation
To what extent?

What if it were a receptacle in the tub area?

The OP is in a sticky wicket. 6 feet really is low for an electric motor and fan blades in a tub area, IMHO. I checked the directions he referred to, and the instructions actually say "7 to 10 feet". Six feet is lower than most shower heads.

I doubt he will find one that is listed and is allowed per instruction to be below 7 feet.

The rehab code recognizes that an existing condition which may not have been deemed a hazard in the original installation may now be considered so, but allows a repair or replacement of the equipment that may be responsible for that condition without having to bring the entire installation to the current code. So, if 6 feet is too low now, but wasn't then, as long as I'm not dropping to 5 feet (say) I should be allowed to replace an existing fan in the existing location without hindrance.

Cavie

Can you get creative and mount the fan outside on the wall in a decorative box of some sort??? Perhaps an inline dryer fan?? I love thinking outside the box.

mwm1752

The rehab code recognizes that an existing condition which may not have been deemed a hazard in the original installation may now be considered so, but allows a repair or replacement of the equipment that may be responsible for that condition without having to bring the entire installation to the current code. So, if 6 feet is too low now, but wasn't then, as long as I'm not dropping to 5 feet (say) I should be allowed to replace an existing fan in the existing location without hindrance.

So this code allows a condition that is now considered a hazard to personnel ok to continue because it is an incovienence to repair properly? I smell law suit -- I would rather warn the customer of a hazard then walk away if they did not want to fix properly but that is just my opinion. If this bathroom has a window a fan is not required.

gadfly56

Occupation
So this code allows a condition that is now considered a hazard to personnel ok to continue because it is an incovienence to repair properly? I smell law suit -- I would rather warn the customer of a hazard then walk away if they did not want to fix properly but that is just my opinion. If this bathroom has a window a fan is not required.

All codes and standards are consensus products. It's what most people feel is correct at any given time. NJ recognizes that making everything come up to code every time you touch a building is an undue hardship. Keep in mind this only applies to existing conditions that would have been code compliant at the time of original installation. Just because we think it's safer now is not a good reason to bankrupt a homeowner or rental property owner because they want to change a fixture. One of the few areas where NJ shows some common sense.

gadfly56

Occupation
Then do not post hazard as a condition if it is not a hazard -- so now this is bankrupting an owner --

What is a hazard at any given moment is a matter of judgement. And there are degrees of hazard. There is a hazard that someone might drive their car into my living room. But I'm not putting up concrete-filled bollards any time soon because it's a very unlikely hazard.

Status
Not open for further replies.