Getting C-10 Licence in California

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajpat

My question may sound silly but I thought I should check on this forum. I wanted to get C-10 licence in California. I checked CSLB web site and requirement is to show 4 years experience and need to pass exams. My back ground is Bachelor degree in Electronic Engineering and I am in electrical and electronic manufacturing business since last 16 years in California. This business doesn't require CSLB licence. Over the years I helped many of my friends fixing electrical problems. I believe I have very good knowledge electric work including nec codes. Also since I am handling my own business with 10 full time employees. I am familiar with all employment, OSHA and material handling related laws. I only have one project I did as owner builder.

Now I wanted to start another business while continue doing currant business. Apparently I don't have time to go and work under C-10 contractor to get experience. I don't have problem passing exams. So I wanted to find out from experienced guys to work around this 4 years experience. I did talk to CSLB and they told me since I have engineering degree I may get waiver for 3 years experience but I still need to show experience of one full year.

DanMiller

I was a C-10 in California for 20 years the requirements to qualify for testing was 5 years of confirmed experience as journeyman/foreman level which had to be signed off by a current licensed C-10, you can not qualify from an apprentice level which is 5 years, journeyman level is 5 years which you'll have aquire your experience in the trade 20,000 hrs, that is the 50% of the test the other is on the law, which you can procure from online a course for California contact law.
My old # for California was 706973, in case your are wondering
Not sure if the requirements have changed but that's how I had to get my license back in 1995

rajpat

Dan, Thanks and appreciate your response. I am looking at application instruction and it shows full 4 years as journeyman or higher. So I think it may have changed from 5 year to 4 year. As per my conversation with CSLB they may waive max of 3 years because I have engineering degree. Do you know if they consider my 15 year business experience towards trade and law? If they do than all I need is few months experience to qualify for exam.

DanMiller

Will I'm not sure how they are going to qualify your degrees in engineering as experience in the field as a journeyman or foreman experience and how your going to get someone to sign off on that, but they can do anything they want, as for the law side it wasn't that hard it mostly pretained to contact law regarding construction, not normal business practices, there is programs out there that can give you study material on the law side, I'm not sure if your years in business qualifies towards that but if you don't ask them you'll never know, so good luck

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Dan, Thanks and appreciate your response. I am looking at application instruction and it shows full 4 years as journeyman or higher. So I think it may have changed from 5 year to 4 year. As per my conversation with CSLB they may waive max of 3 years because I have engineering degree. Do you know if they consider my 15 year business experience towards trade and law? If they do than all I need is few months experience to qualify for exam.

the intent is to license people that have documented
experience with the physical install.

if they will give you credit for the degree, of three years....
so, you need 1 year of documented work at journeyman,
or above.

you need 2,000 hours worth of pay stubs as a licensed journeyman.
dunno the current numbers, but a journeyman required 7,000 hours
of on the job training as an apprentice in 1982.

there is the rub.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Your big hurdle is that all Apprentice and general electrician are registered. You apparently have never been. So no way to claim proper number of hours. You have no EDD hours as a electrician or trainee. As far as the CSLB is concerned you do not qualify.

There are no more affidavit as proof. That is unless you are coming from another state.

So no way to fudge, If you do and get caught ...........

You can have a C-10 sign on as RME ( responsible Managing employee) he will need to be employed by you for the majority of the work week ( 20 or 30 hours). That
way you get your own license.

Oh I almost forgot. Being at a journey level electrician is much more that working on small projects for friends. You are supposed to be well rounded. Have a working knowledge of Industrial , Commercial as well as residential. The C-10 is the only electrical license that is offered and you are supposed to be able to handle it all. That is why the state wants so many years experience. (in theory)

Last edited:

DanMiller

the intent is to license people that have documented
experience with the physical install.

if they will give you credit for the degree, of three years....
so, you need 1 year of documented work at journeyman,
or above.

you need 2,000 hours worth of pay stubs as a licensed journeyman.
dunno the current numbers, but a journeyman required 7,000 hours
of on the job training as an apprentice in 1982.

this is what I had to do when I applied not sure if the requirements have changed. but i don't think he can without the experience and hours in the field, plus as a RME has to be listed for 5 yrs on License to waive the trade side of test, and he dosen't have that either.

there is the rub.
I was a C-10 in California for 20 years the requirements to qualify for testing was 5 years of confirmed experience as journeyman/foreman level which had to be signed off by a current licensed C-10, you can not qualify from an apprentice level which is 5 years, journeyman level is 5 years which you'll have aquire your experience in the trade 20,000 hrs, that is the 50% of the test the other is on the law, which you can procure from online a course for California contact law.
My old # for California was 706973, in case your are wondering
Not sure if the requirements have changed but that's how I had to get my license back in 1995

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Dan, the requirement is 4 years not 5 years. I applied for my license in 1988.

As Randy stated, its not just the matter of having someone sign off that you are a journeyman. You have to be a licensed/certified journeyman for 4 years now that the certification program exists.

DanMiller

No I totally agree with you regarding certification, even though I was certified through the union I still had to have a licensed C-10 to sign off for me to apply back in 1994 and received my test date in may of 95,
Engineering degree does not make you a electrician by any means, it just means you know how to use a calculator real good.
I'm in texas now and they do not recognize California's standards it took Texas 6 months to qualify me to take the master's test out here. Which is equal to a C-10 but you still have to apply for the contractors licence out here with a current master of record listed to go into business and then it's very slow going again.
Good luck to everyone.

kwired

Electron manager
You said your business is electrical and electronic manufacturing, which is not the same thing as electrical installations. You may have the knowledge but don't necessarily have required proof of experience.

I could have passed the contractor's test here the day I graduated from college - but still needed experience. I'm sure you have more experience now then I did as a 20 year old, but you still haven't fulfilled the requirements and may need to go through at least a year the way it sounds with a partner that is qualified and make sure things are properly documented so that it will be valid.

rajpat

I just talk to CSLB customer service and they told me I have to submit my transcript with degree certificate with application and show one year experience. It is totally up to technician who reviews application to give me waiver. Max 3 year and min. is at his/her discretion. i don't need to submit pay stub or W2 with application as long as experience is signed by C10 contractor. If CSLB want to verify it,they may ask later. So I guess I have two options now either find c-10 licenced contractor as partner or just pass on new business opportunity and forget about it. As of now I dont know anyone with C10 licenced contractor.

This lines in Blue is take from CSLB application.

CSLB may grant up to three years of credit toward the four-year requirement for completed education and/orapprenticeship programs. Education/apprenticeship is documented in Section 6 of the application.

Thanks all of you for your help.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I just talk to CSLB customer service and they told me I have to submit my transcript with degree certificate with application and show one year experience. It is totally up to technician who reviews application to give me waiver. Max 3 year and min. is at his/her discretion. i don't need to submit pay stub or W2 with application as long as experience is signed by C10 contractor. If CSLB want to verify it,they may ask later. So I guess I have two options now either find c-10 licenced contractor as partner or just pass on new business opportunity and forget about it. As of now I dont know anyone with C10 licenced contractor.

This lines in Blue is take from CSLB application.

CSLB may grant up to three years of credit toward the four-year requirement for completed education and/orapprenticeship programs. Education/apprenticeship is documented in Section 6 of the application.

Thanks all of you for your help.

Don't despair! If you have a grate business plan maybe someone will sign on with you as a RME. As a principle you do not need to get certified per se.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
In the past the CSLB accepted a signed document from a journeyman or another licensed contractor verifying the experience. Not any more. Now the applicant must show proof of the experience and usually it is pay stubs from the social security office and other paper work from the company that you have worked at as an journeyman.

The state wants to make sure you know how to install and know the codes and the standards before they will accept your application.

The state is tightening down on passing out contractor licenses and IMO they should have done it long time ago. No disrespect to the OP.

Good luck.

kwired

Electron manager
In the past the CSLB accepted a signed document from a journeyman or another licensed contractor verifying the experience. Not any more. Now the applicant must show proof of the experience and usually it is pay stubs from the social security office and other paper work from the company that you have worked at as an journeyman.

The state wants to make sure you know how to install and know the codes and the standards before they will accept your application.

The state is tightening down on passing out contractor licenses and IMO they should have done it long time ago. No disrespect to the OP.

Good luck.
The only thing I find somewhat unfair about that is requiring paperwork from previous employers. Paperwork obtained while employed is probably fine like old paystubs or W-2's but in some cases there may no longer be a friendly relationship or the employer may even no longer exist. Just a little verification of experience should be what is intended - you then still need to pass an exam to prove that you do know the content - or at least that you are a good student of the test contents.

Status
Not open for further replies.