50a rv hookup at church

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiElectrician

I told my church I'd change one of their outlets from 30a to 50a. The company that put the 30a hookup in ran 1/2" conduit and its in a block wall, so I don't think I'll be able to change it and I don't want to run conduit down the outside of their building. I looked it up and it looks like I can fit 3 #8 in it, but all the electricians I talk to act like I'm crazy. It is a little to small to fit a ground down as well, but its emt and I am planning on pulling a ground off of the box. has anyone done this, and does it sound like a sound plan?

Thanks in advance

MiElectrician

user 100

I told my church I'd change one of their outlets from 30a to 50a. The company that put the 30a hookup in ran 1/2" conduit and its in a block wall, so I don't think I'll be able to change it and I don't want to run conduit down the outside of their building. I looked it up and it looks like I can fit 3 #8 in it, but all the electricians I talk to act like I'm crazy. It is a little to small to fit a ground down as well, but its emt and I am planning on pulling a ground off of the box. has anyone done this, and does it sound like a sound plan?

Thanks in advance

MiElectrician

If that is true bonafide emt there, according to 250.118 (per the 2014) you're good to go if you want to use it for the egc.

kwired

Electron manager

Thanks in advance

MiElectrician
Done that before. You don't want to pull too long of a run in 1/2 inch with 3 - #8 if you can avoid it, but it is within the allowed fill capacity, and EMT is allowed to be used as the equipment grounding conductor.

growler

Go for it. I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Too each their own, I won't run three 10 AWGs in 1/2".

I don't like 1/2" conduit either but it is in a block wall and that does make a difference. Doesn't sound like it would be all that easy to change either.

If they ran that 1/2" EMT right and didn't try for the maximum number of bends and reemed their cuts and you use plenty of wire lube and the guy feeding the cable knows how to keep it good and straight then it is possible. If you stagger the conductors when makeing up the head of the pull so it doesn't get stuck and take it slow and easy.

I would be willing to give it a try because #8 stranded will pull as easy as #10 solid.

iwire

Staff member
I don't like 1/2" conduit either but it is in a block wall and that does make a difference. Doesn't sound like it would be all that easy to change either.

If they ran that 1/2" EMT right and didn't try for the maximum number of bends and reemed their cuts and you use plenty of wire lube and the guy feeding the cable knows how to keep it good and straight then it is possible. If you stagger the conductors when makeing up the head of the pull so it doesn't get stuck and take it slow and easy.

I would be willing to give it a try because #8 stranded will pull as easy as #10 solid.

I agree, job conditions and what is existing can change the view.:)

My post was basically to ADs comment that it is no big deal.

IMO and it seems yours as well, it makes it a pain and would normally avoid it. Can it be done? Sure. Would I do it in the OPs case? Maybe.

But would I characterize it as easy or a good way to go? Heck no.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I would not run new conduit on the outside of the building.
I have no problem using EMT for the equipment ground.
You are under 40% fill with three eights in a half inch EMT. Using it is not a crazy idea.

Go set up some reels of eight, shove a fish tape in the pipe, make a nice small head on the wire, stop whining and start pulling.

MiElectrician

Thanks for all the replies guys, and it's a straight pipe going down about 8', I'm going to put a box on it and pipe 3/4" back to the panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.